jpg“ width=““1000““ height=““100““ alt=“Everyone is a Caregiver“ />
At UMass Memorial Health Care, Everyone is a Caregiver regardless of title. Exceptional patient care, academic excellence and leading-edge research make UMass Memorial the premier health care system of Central and Western Massachusetts, and a place where we can help you build the career you deserve. We are more than 14,000 employees, working together as one health care system. And everyone, in their own unique way, plays an important part, everyday.
Requisition #: 193924
Title: Patient & Equipment Transporter
Department: Central Patient Transport
Posting Date: July 17, 2019
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – Memorial Campus
Performs a variety of duties involving the transportation of patients throughout the hospital. Assists nursing staff in the physical, lateral transfer of patients before and after patient transport. Collects and delivers items to and from areas including the Labs, Pharmacy, Radiology, Medical Records, S.P.D., Mail Room and patient care areas. Cleans, sanitizes and delivers beds and transport equipment; maintains job activity logs as required.
High school Diploma or equivalent is preferred. Six months' experience in a hospital environment is preferred. Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification is required within 6 months of hire. Ability to read, write, speak and understand English is required.
Good inter–personal skills and a customer service orientation are required to maintain a collaborative, patient focused effort between Patient Transportation and other hospital departments.
- Escorts ambulatory patients. Transports patient by wheelchair, stretcher or bed. Prior to transport, verifies identification of all patients assigned by checking 2 identifiers and signing off on Safe Patient Transport Forms; notifies clinician if discrepancy on forms. To ensure patient comfort and safety during transport process, monitors and responds to basic patient needs before, during and after transport. Provides appropriate handoff communication when patient is delivered to receiving unit.
- Assists nursing staff and/or lift tech in moving and positioning of patients using various lift devices in preparation of patient for transport and returning patient to bed. Includes lateral transfer of patients on precaution status that requires Patient Transporter to use personal protection equipment and to follow infection control process per precaution isolation–type.
- Delivers stretchers, beds, cribs and wheelchairs as needed. Assists in deep–cleaning of all transport equipment on a biannual basis. Sanitizes transport vehicles and ancillary equipment between patient use.
- Transports patient specimens to and from the Lab, Pathology, and blood products to/from the Blood Bank in accordance with established infection control guidelines. Transports contaminated equipment to Sterile Processing within same infection control guidelines.
- Delivers other materials such as medical records, pharmaceuticals, X–ray films, sterile items, and miscellaneous reports and items as required.
Standards of Respect:
jpg“ width=“600“ height=“25“ alt=“Standards of Respect“ />
We're striving to make respect a part of everything we do at UMass Memorial – for our patients and for each other. We're expecting that our new caregivers practice our six Standards of Respect: Acknowledge, Listen, Communicate, Be Responsive, Be a Team Player, and Be Kind, to help us make respect a part of how we take care of business everyday.