Requisition #: 200563
Title: Nurse Clinician
Department: Childrens Medical Center
Posting Date: November 7, 2019
Hours: 32 hours full-time
Shift Length: 8 hours
Location: UMass Memorial Medical Center – University Campus Lake Ave Worcester
- Position Summary:
Responsible for the daily activities of the nursing staff to facilitate optimal patient care. Collaborates with the Nurse Manager, Clinical Nurse Specialist and others in the implementation and evaluation of nursing and causality assurance and all educational activities on assigned unit and related duties.
- Major Responsibilities:
- Coordinates and carries out the educational programs for nursing staff such as in-service, Basic Life Support programs and continuing education programs.
- Responsible for coordination of nursing activities necessary to meet patient and unit needs.
- Keeps Nurse Manager informed of nursing workload, changes in patient and employee needs, and other problems.
- Coordinates orientation schedule and assignments for orientees assigned to unit.
- Assists clinical preceptor in teaching nursing staff defined competencies.
- Creates atmosphere conducive for learners to learn and to practice in accordance with Standards of Nursing Practice.
- Collaborates with Nurse Manager, Clinical Nurse Specialist and others in defining nursing standards, practices, and educational needs of patient and nursing staff.
- Participates with Nurse Manager in coordination of quality improvement program for the unit
- and participates in related evaluation of the outcomes of quality monitoring.
- Facilitates communication between nurses and other disciplines.
- Interviews and recommends potential nursing candidates for hire.
- Participates in performance review and provide counseling to staff, as necessary.
- Provides immediate discipline for nursing staff as necessary. Makes recommendations to Nurse Manager regarding need for disciplinary action.
Standard Staffing Level Responsibilities:
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures and objectives.
- Attends variety of meetings, conferences, seminars as required or directed.
- Demonstrates use of Quality Improvement in daily operations.
- Complies with all health and safety regulations and requirements.
- Respects diverse views and approaches, demonstrates Standards of Respect, and contributes to creating and maintaining an environment of professionalism, tolerance, civility and acceptance toward all employees, patients and visitors.
- Maintains, regular, reliable, and predictable attendance.
- Performs other similar and related duties as required or directed.
All responsibilities are essential job functions.
- Position Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in nursing and current Massachusetts Registered Nurse licensure and registration.
- Two years of current tertiary care nursing experience.
- One year of experience in clinical preceptor and/or resource role.
- Demonstrated leadership experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the above requirements.
Department-specific competencies and their measurements will be developed and maintained in the individual departments. The competencies will be maintained and attached to the departmental job description. Responsible managers will review competencies with position incumbents.
- Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions:
Work is considered sedentary. Position requires work indoors in a normal office environment.