AFEX is a trusted global payment and risk management solutions specialist with a heritage that dates back to 1979. We offer a comprehensive range of global payment and foreign exchange services, including foreign currency drafts, wire transfers, risk management tools with designated Account Executives. We can handle every aspect of a client's foreign payment needs, from risk consultation to transaction execution.
We are currently hiring for a Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate based in our Woodland Hills office.
AFEX is committed to the highest standards of anti-money laundering (AML) and anti-financial crime, including anti-bribery and corruption, counter terrorism financing (CTF), anti-fraud, and other punishable criminal acts. The members of the board, executives, and all employees are required to adhere to these standards to protect AFEX from being misused for money laundering and terrorist financing, or other unlawful purposes.
The Compliance department, under the Governance, Risk & Compliance (GRC) umbrella function, ensures AFEX's compliance with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and internal initiatives through the creation of risk-based policies and procedures.
The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate assists with the execution of both local and international regulatory strategies. The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate completes technical files and product/services registration documentation for regulatory submission. The professional ensures compliance with all applicable legislation and regulation with the goal to gain full approval for new markets. The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate serves as a GRC representative on project teams. The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate ensures the quality, content, and format of regulatory submissions. The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate also must ensure consistency, completeness, and adherence of standards for all submissions. The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate manages the licensing and reporting requirements for existing products and services to ensure that our products and services stay in continuous compliance with legislation, regulation, licensing standards, and reporting obligations.
The Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate will work under minimum supervision and demonstrate the ability to monitor, research, analyze, and address all essential compliance activities for AFEX's internal and external relationships and exercise good judgment in identifying issues and, more importantly, driving resolution. In accordance with departmental and corporate procedures as well as applicable regulations, the Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate will take proactive measures to prevent financial penalties as well as mitigate reputational risk through any of the (1) monitoring existing and/or proposed applicable laws and regulation; (2) staying abreast of various internal initiatives and potential changes to operations; and (3) properly reporting and categorizing irregular activity.
In executing their duties, the Regulatory Affairs Senior Associate should serve as a brand ambassador for AFEX and act in a way that promotes AFEX's corporate vision; to serve as a trusted business partner. All actions and interactions both internally and externally should be executed to underpin and uphold the AFEX core
- Our aim is to build a long-term relationship, becoming your trusted partner. We earn trust by delivering on our commitments and putting the needs of our customers and colleagues first.
- We strive to be the best in our field; through our dedication to continually learn and excel, we'll deliver strategically adept solutions that work for you.
- We constantly challenge ourselves to find the best ways to deliver value to our clients and each other, providing personalized services that enhance our customer's business.
- Execute directives from the Global Regulatory Affairs Manager.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on certain global and local government regulatory and corporate governance standards.
- Accountable to meeting all AFEX brand guidelines and executing all duties with the AFEX core values as the benchmark.
- Play a critical role in the successful execution of the Company's compliance mission.
- Provide regulatory and compliance related advice to business partners for existing products and new product launches. Support regulatory compliance reviews of payment processing and support functions.
- Monitor changes in applicable industry regulations and modify policies and procedures as necessary by interfacing with multiple functional areas to develop and implement scalable compliance systems and controls including Sales, Legal, Operations, Finance and IT.
- Interfaces with regulatory authorities on matters relating to compliance with applicable laws or regulations.
- Participates in the rulemaking process.
- Respond to routine requests from regulatory entities.
- Assist in compiling data and documents required for periodic regulatory examinations and audits
- Responsible for writing applicable regulatory compliance policy and procedure documentation.
- Participates in internal workgroups associated with various compliance initiatives to advise and assist the company with implementation efforts, facilitates inter-departmental meetings as needed.
- Work with internal and external auditors to conduct periodic risk assessments and remediate any identified issues as well as interface regulators about such audits as necessary. Maintain records and provide reporting to regulatory agencies as required by law and to banking partners as required by contract and report to the Chief Risk Officer, Global Legal Counsel, Global Compliance Officer and regional Compliance Directors on the state of our compliance efforts.
- Maintains expertise in assigned research topic(s) to support identified company compliance needs.
- Monitors and advises on company practices and documentation related to regulatory compliance
- Independently (or with minimal management supervision) accurately assesses and responds to internal and external requests and responds to complaints from external customers (regulatory agencies, etc.).
- Provide support to the different functions performed in Compliance.
- Authorized to act on behalf of the region's Compliance department with regard to ensuring the company's compliance with relevant government regulatory and corporate governance obligations.
- Reports directly into the Global Regulatory Affairs Manager.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent practical experience (minimum). JD from an accredited law school or desire to pursue advanced legal studies (preferred).
- 3-5 years of previous work or educational experience with legislation and regulation governing financial institutions, money transmitters, or money services businesses.
- Advanced research and writing skills.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to focus on the nuts and bolts of complex work.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Excel, with demonstrated ability to create formulas, utilize PivotTables and lookups, and efficiently present data.
- Self-starter and master of time management, consistently sustaining high levels of productivity and quality in a fast paced high volume environment.
- Strong relationship building, networking, interpersonal, and communication skills required.
- Work autonomously and use initiative to suggest and, if necessary, implement process improvements.
- Clearly document and support judgments, decisions and rationale, which will necessitate strong writing skills and the ability to maintain files and records in accordance with department standards.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and decision making in the context of regulatory requirements, company policies, and industry best practices.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills with the ability to quickly react to ever changing business needs.
- Operate in a high stress regulatory environment, with constantly changing expectations and close regulatory and audit scrutiny.
AFEX is committed to offer equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to their race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or military or veteran status. AFEX complies with all applicable laws governing discrimination and harassment in employment in every location and jurisdiction in which the Company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leave of absence, compensation and training.