Workers Compensation Specialist
Medline’s HR team has an exciting new opportunity for a Workers Compensation Specialist based at our headquarters in Northfield, IL. We are in growth mode and looking for an exceptional professional who thrives in an extremely fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment. The Workers Compensation Specialist manages activities associated with workers’ compensation claims made against Medline Industries, Inc., and its subsidiaries, including but not limited to employee inquiries, vendor management, vendor selection, broker coordination and management inquiries. The Specialist serves as the subject matter expert (SME) for domestic workers’ compensation claims. In addition, this individual provides advice and counsel regarding claims management, claim compensability and/or settlement strategies with Medline, TPAs, nurse case managers and defense attorneys. The Specialist also ensures all claims are reported accurately/timely, and manages administration and training of the alcohol/drug testing process. This person proactively seeks solutions to control overall program costs and risks and provides assistance and recommendations to the Safety Manager/Committee for prevention and to ensure a safer working environment for employees.
- Manage overall relationship among various workers’ compensation service vendors, brokers and Medline to ensure proper handling of all work-related injuries that are compensable under various workers’ compensation jurisdictions. Responsible for cost-effective handling of all claims. Make recommendations on process improvements, settlements, denials, and vendor/policy changes. Conduct cost analysis on each lost-time claim.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of all workers’ compensation claims by all employees and management to the appropriate vendor or state agency. Ensures return-to-work capabilities are considered and occur within Medline's policies and practices.
- Serve as primary employer contact for various outside service providers (TPAs, investigators, lawyers, medical providers) to ensure resolution with outstanding bills, documentation gathering and information sharing.
- Coordinate training to management on injury reporting, drug testing and alcohol screening. Ensure compliance with all related company policies and practices.
- Gather incident reports for weekly claims call meeting about new incidents including reaching out to the Medline locations for additional information. Document follow-ups items from the weekly meeting and communicate with the involved parties to gather missing or additional documentation.
- Ensure appropriate medical care is provided for those that require it, as well as monitor vendors to make sure they are actively managing Medline's claims.
- Escalate problem claims or violation of company policies to senior management for correction.
- Track claim costs and overall company costs of claims. Ensures vendors are working in the best interest of the employee and Medline.
- Serve as resource for management for all questions related to injuries, post-accident drug testing and return to work options.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- At least 3 years of workers’ compensation claims experience
- General knowledge about workers’ compensation laws and specific state laws
- Above average basic math skills to analyze claims cost, reserves and settlements
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook) and third-party claims management systems
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels within the organization, medical providers and lawyers
- Bilingual/Spanish preferred