We are currently seeking a Agricultural Greenhouse Leader to work in our Winder Manufacturing facility located in Winder, GA. Stepan Company is a global manufacturer of specialty chemicals headquartered in Northfield, Illinois. Founded in 1932, we provide innovative chemical solutions for a cleaner, healthier, more energy-efficient world.
We are seeking an Agricultural Professional to become a member at our new, state-of-the-art agricultural innovation, greenhouse and training center in Winder, Georgia. The qualified candidate will be in charge of a newly built greenhouse and will be expected to commission and set up upon arrival. This individual will have experience in running greenhouse / field trial experiments and coordinating with business and R&D to determine appropriate experiments to advance Stepan's footprint into the agricultural market.
- Manage and maintain greenhouse facility at the WAIC, including commissioning of the facility and relevant infrastructure and equipment
- Lead and actively support the cultivation, maintenance and care of plants
- Lead and coordinate greenhouse studies at the WAIC, including for internal company projects and testing needs, as well as customer-driven studies
- Coordinate and advise on external greenhouse, field and application tests, including for biological testing, spray drift and other relevant studies
- Evaluate seed treatments from germinating seeds/seedlings per established procedures/rules on standard, vigor, tetrazolium, and herbicide bioassay tests on all submitted species
- Lead customer engagement at the center and remotely, through training, establishing partnership projects and developing and curating technical content for customer and marketing purposes
- Commission, manage and maintain relevant application technology equipment for the facility, which may include spray tank(s), spray chamber(s), demonstration spray table and nozzle library, imaging technologies (e.g., high speed camera), droplet characterization devices (Sympatec laser or similar), seed treatment equipment, etc
- Establish local collaborations with county and academic extension and technical groups, for community ambassadorship and resourcing opportunities
- Locally manages WAIC team, focused on teamwork, logistics, customer experience and continuous improvement
- Establish Sustainability program and ambassadorship for the WAIC that emphasizes role of Stepan and our agricultural innovation in food security and improving the environment
- Collaborate with colleagues on design of experiments or structure/function studies to develop new products for the Ag market
- Use available resources to regularly review technical information, patents, literature, regulations, methodologies and trends related to the Ag market to independently develop & recommend technical strategies
- Must be able to physically manage greenhouse activities safely, including lifting and manipulation of planting pots and equipment
- Travel: ~ 10-15%, primarily domestic for customer and collaborator engagement, technical meetings, internal meetings and training
- Five years minimum relevant experience with Masters or PhD, or 10 years minimum relevant experience with Bachelors in fields including Agronomy, Agricultural Engineering, Application Technology, Horticulture and Plant Science
- Relevant greenhouse and/or field experience growing and assessing relevant crops in studies of pesticidal efficacy, phytotoxicity, growth vigor and other effects of application of crop protection, nutrient, or agricultural additives
- Relevant knowledge about greenhouse setup, management and maintenance
- Knowledge of trial design and theory, statistical analysis and interpretation for agricultural greenhouse and field studies
- Experience and knowledge of agricultural products (Crop protection products, adjuvants) and equipment technologies (pumps, nozzles) and relevant applications
- We celebrate diversity at Stepan and are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law.