The Department of Environmental Protection - MassDEP - is the state agency responsible for ensuring clean air and water, the safe management of toxics and hazards, the recycling of solid and hazardous wastes, the timely cleanup of hazardous waste sites and spills, and the preservation of wetlands and coastal resources.
MassDEP seeks applicants for the position of Environmental Engineer III (EE III), which will report to the Regional Solid Waste Management Section Chief in the Northeast Regional Office (NERO) in Wilmington, MA. The Environmental Engineer III will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of the Solid Waste Management Program.
Specific duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review applications and conduct inspections of facilities and activities regulated under the Massachusetts Solid Waste Regulations and the Solid Waste Facility Site Assignment Regulations;
- Make recommendations to the Section Chief on whether the applications and activities comply with the solid waste regulations, applicable Department guidance and policy, and standard accepted engineering practices. Such recommendations include, but are not limited to:
- the construction and operation of solid waste facilities;
- the closure and post-closure care, use, and monitoring of solid waste landfills;
- Beneficial Use Determinations for the reuse of solid waste;
- Recycling, Composting, or Conversion Operations;
- Site Suitability Determinations for the siting of solid waste facilities;
- Comprehensive site assessments, remedial alternative analyses, and remedial designs for solid waste landfills;
- Conduct compliance inspections of solid waste facilities including Municipal Waste Combustors, solid waste landfills, transfer stations, and recycling operations;
- Perform construction inspections to determine compliance with Department approved plans, accepted engineering practice, and the solid waste regulations and Department guidelines, and policy;
- Prepare detailed inspection reports;
- Recommend and conduct enforcement for violation(s) of the solid waste regulations including the preparation of enforcement documents, enforcement conferences, and follow-up;
- Prepare and provide court testimony including affidavits and depositions;
- Provide technical and compliance assistance and outreach to solid waste facilities, the public, and municipalities on the operation of solid waste facilities, the management of solid waste, recycling, the solid waste regulations, and solid waste guidance and policy;
- Assist other MassDEP programs and perform other duties as assigned by the Section Chief including, but not limited to participating in the development of Department waste regulations, guidelines, and policies.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of the statutes, regulations, and policies applicable to the solid waste program including M.G.L. c. 111 §150 A and 150A1/2 and the regulations promulgated thereunder at 310 CMR 16.00 (Site Assignment Regulations) and 310 CMR 19.000 (Solid Waste Regulations).
- Considerable experience in the management of solid waste including knowledge and experience in the recycling and reuse of solid waste and implementation of the waste ban provisions of the solid waste regulations.
- Professional civil engineering experience in construction inspections and QA/QC, in particular in the construction and closure of landfills and solid waste facilities including project management.
- Experience in the drafting, reviewing, and QA/QC of construction design plans including QA/QC plans including project management.
- Experience and familiarity with the requirements and standards for Beneficial Use Determinations.
- Experience and familiarity including direct involvement at the project level with environmental assessments and monitoring of solid waste landfills and the development and implementation of remedial actions.
- Ability to evaluate submittals quickly, thoroughly, and to identify the substantive issues and to prepare and convey recommendations to address such issues.
- Excellent communication skills including excellent writing and editing skills and the ability to express ideas clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work independently.
- Experience in communicating effectively with the regulated community, the public, and municipalities.
- Preference will be given to applicants that hold a license as a Professional Engineer from the State of Massachusetts’ Board of Registration of Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors in Civil and/or Environmental Engineering.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must have at least (A) four years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, technical or professional experience in the field of environmental engineering. civil engineering, sanitary engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering or public health engineering and (B) of which at least two years must have been in a professional capacity, or (C) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. An Associate's degree with a major in civil engineering or civil engineering technology may be substituted for a maximum of one year of the required (A) experience.*
II. A Bachelor's degree with a major in environmental engineering, civil engineering, civil engineering technology, sanitary engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering or public health engineering may be substituted for a maximum of two years of the required (A) experience.*
III. A Graduate degree with a major in environmental engineering, civil engineering, sanitary engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering or public health engineering may be substituted for a maximum of three years of the required (A) experience and one year of the required (B) experience.*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
NOTE: Educational substitutions will only be permitted for a maximum of one year of the required (B) experience.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.