Program Mgr - 90341704 - Wilmington, Chicago (Wilmington, Delaware, US, 19802)
Your success is a train ride away!
As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
THIS POSITION CAN BE BASED IN WILMINGTON, DE OR CHICAGO, IL.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Program Manager is responsible for delivery of large scale moderate to high risk programs, with multimillion dollar cost impacts and multi-year delivery schedule. The programs may encompass multiple projects, cross-departmental interfaces, multiple technologies, geographies, and assets. Individuals in this role work independently with indirect supervision from the Portfolio Manager or Mechanical PMO leader and may have either direct reports or matrixed subordinate team members. The role requires regular analytical and metrics-based reporting to other staff, Executive Committee, and stakeholders
- Coordinate multiple project teams, vendors and assets to ensure timely and cost-effective sequencing and execution of critical path milestones across several inter-dependent projects.
- Establish Program Governance and Controls structures to enable effective escalation and decision-making processes.
- Cultivate collaborative partnership among stakeholders to enable scoping, financial and resource decisions
- Identify, document, and elevate cross-organizational and vendor-driven dependencies, and work with executives and peers across the organization to develop and implement appropriate dependency management processes
- Identify and manage assessment of major changes to scope, schedule and budget through the appropriate Mechanical and Enterprise governance approval mechanisms
- Mentor and coach junior level Project Management staff and matrixed team members and provide guidance on adherence to the Mechanical Project Management best practices.
- Work with senior leaders to contribute relevant data to support annual planning activities and sequence new working through the appropriate controls mechanisms
- Ensure that program financial performance and forecasting information is available and reportable for senior executives and government regulators
- Identify and evaluate the risks associated with program execution and work across organization to establish and monito mitigation plans
- Develop and maintain required program management artifacts and ensure that all projects have appropriate project management artifacts and processes in accordance with Amtrak Project Management standards and applicable regulations
- Identify efficiencies and present recommended improvement opportunities at various levels of management.
- Build strong relationships within Amtrak to understand the business challenges and opportunities.
- Cultivate partnership among executive leaders and portfolio stakeholders by establishing program governance structures such as steering committees, change control boards, program risk and quality management processes.
- Direct and supervise assigned project management, technical and operational resources to conduct detailed level planning overall program schedule and its milestone activities in accordance with the established scope, budget, and schedule constraints, and in alignment with mission and the goals of Amtrak
- Identify, manage, and mitigate inter-project and cross-organizational dependencies and risks by developing and implementing long-term goals and objectives and facilitating appropriate executive escalation and decision support processes.
- Develop, track, and forecast annual budgets and operating plans to support the program
- Provide performance reports and other relevant analytics on the program stakeholders
- Monitor and approve all budgeted program expenditures
- Ensure program adherence to the Mechanical and Amtrak Program Management methods and governance standards
- 7 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required OR equivalent combination of training, education and relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- PMP certification or ability to obtain one within 12 months of hire.
- Strong project and program management skills
- Superb communication and stakeholder management skills with focus on collaboration, team building, and customer service
- Effectiveness working diplomatically across teams with varying objectives.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, MS Project)
- Must have work authorization in the United States.
- 9+ years of relevant experience
- Contract management experience
- Transportation industry background
- PgMP certification
- Graduate degree
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills
Posting Location(s):Delaware; District of Columbia; Illinois; Maryland; New Jersey; New York; Pennsylvania; Virginia
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
All positions require pre-employment background check verification, a pre-employment drug screen and proof of full vaccination against COVID -19. Amtrak is committed to a safe workplace free of drugs and alcohol and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. Successful applicants for employment with Amtrak must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire as a condition of employment, subject to requests for accommodation. Fully vaccinated means 14 days have elapsed since receiving the second dose of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or 14 days since receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR § 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety-sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, the individual will not be permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an EOE/Affirmative Action Minority/Female employer, and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race/color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth and related conditions), national origin/ethnicity, age, disability (intellectual, mental and physical), veteran status, marital status, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, genetic information, citizenship or any other personal characteristics protected by law.
POSTING NOTES: Mechanical || Engineering & Mechanical