Who We Are:
Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. com/aerospace, Facebook or Twitter.
Technical Intern – Tactical Mission Analyst Computational Physics
Ball Aerospace 2020 Summer Intern Program:
The Ball Aerospace Internship Program is a 10-week summer program that provides interns with practical experience working on relevant projects while working with designated mentors; access to state-of-the-art equipment; a competitive wage; relocation reimbursement; in-house training; group activities; possible future employment and the ability to participate in the Ball Aerospace Remote Sensing Team (BIRST) program to build and launch a rocket or high-altitude balloon. At the conclusion of your internship, you will be required to prepare and deliver a formal presentation of your project work to your respective department.
What You'll Do:
- Support development of a tool box used for post-processing and visualizing complex antenna measurements.
- Develop MATLAB code for data processing using GIT version control.
- Write unit tests for new methods and increase overall code coverage.
- Generate documentation in MATLAB's native environment from existing LaTeX files.
- Develop and standardize GUIs for program-specific processing needs.
- Generate MATLAB simulations of system performance using physics first principles while increasing complexity as needed.
- Determine if a system can accomplish its mission in a variety of complex scenarios.
- Identify the appropriate technology to pursue or algorithms improvements necessary to expand system capability.
- Learn new fields and technologies while identifying the appropriate level of detail required.
- Present and defend your analysis to peers, management, and directly to customers.
- Facilitate rapid prototyping by deriving system performance requirements and working with small, specialty engineering teams.
- Participate in system and hardware evaluation, data collection, lab tests, and field tests.
- Assist with meeting project milestones and providing solutions to a variety of technical problems.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Must have completed your junior year and be enrolled in a degree program for the fall of 2020. We will also accept graduating seniors enrolled in a post graduate program.
- Pursuing a degree in Physics, Engineering Physics, Applied Physics, Electrical Engineering, or Computer Science.
- Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Associate's, Bachelor's or Master's, may substitute for two years of related experience. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of MATLAB.
- Interest or knowledge in electromagnetics, antennas, RF technology, optics, signal processing, and/or electronic warfare preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Relocation for this position is Available
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.