Reporting to the Tool & Die Manager, the journeyman Tool & Die Maker analyzes specifications, lays out metal stock, sets up and operates machine tools, and fits and assembles parts to make and repair dies, cutting tools, jigs, fixtures, gauges, and machinists' hand tools.
- Design jigs, fixtures, and templates for use as work aids in the fabrication of parts or products.
- Prepares work to be accomplished by studying assembly instructions, blueprint specifications, and parts lists; gathering parts, subassemblies, tools, and materials.
- Study blueprints, sketches, models, or specifications to plan sequences of operations for fabricating tools, dies, or assemblies.
- Verify dimensions, alignments, and clearances of finished parts for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments such as calipers, gauge blocks, micrometers, and dial indicators.
- Visualize and compute dimensions, sizes, shapes, and tolerances of assemblies, based on specifications.
- Set up and operate conventional or computer numerically controlled machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, and grinders to cut, bore, grind, or otherwise shape parts to prescribed dimensions and finishes.
- File, grind, shim, and adjust different parts to properly fit them together.
- Fit and assemble parts to make, repair, or modify dies, jigs, gauges, and tools, using machine tools and hand tools.
- Conduct test runs with completed tools or dies to ensure that parts meet specifications, making adjustments as necessary.
- Inspect finished dies for smoothness, contour conformity, and defects.
- Smooth and polish flat and contoured surfaces of parts or tools, using scrapers, abrasive stones, files, emery cloths, or power grinders.
- Lift, position, and secure machined parts on surface plates or worktables, using hoists, vises, v-blocks, or angle plates.
- Measure, mark, and scribe metal or plastic stock to lay out machining, using instruments such as protractors, micrometers, scribes, and rulers.
- Develop and design new tools and dies, using computer-aided design software.
- Cut, shape, and trim blanks or blocks to specified lengths or shapes, using power saws, power shears, rules, and hand tools.
- Select metals to be used from a range of metals and alloys, based on properties such as hardness and heat tolerance.
- Set pyrometer controls of heat-treating furnaces and feed or place parts, tools, or assemblies into furnaces to harden.
- Set up and operate drill presses to drill and tap holes in parts for assembly.
- Positions parts and subassemblies by using templates or reading measurements.
- Assembles components by examining connections for correct fit; fastening parts and subassemblies.
- Verifies specifications by measuring completed component.
- Resolves assembly problems by altering dimensions to meet specifications; notifying supervisor to obtain additional resources.
- Keeps equipment operational by completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer's instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Maintains supplies inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed supplies; placing and expediting orders for supplies; verifying receipt of supplies.
- Conserves resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results.
- Documents actions by completing production and quality forms.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Ensure compliance with corporate and plant safety standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Journeyman Tool & Die Maker certificate.
- 5-7 years of prior Tool & Die Maker experience.
- Prior experience using Pro-E/Creo or other 3-D modeling software preferred.
- Previous experience working within a highly technical environment.
- Strong basic math skills.
- Previous experience with light electrical assembly and/or heavy equipment assembly.
- Previous forklift experience.
- Exposure to a Lean manufacturing environment.
- Basic knowledge in blue prints reading and torque values.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to efficiently work in a team and coordinate work with other departments.
- Aptitude to take orders and execute the same efficiently.
- High school degree, diploma or a GED equivalent qualification from is accredited institution.
- Demonstrated detail orientation, self motivation skills and ability to multi-task.
- Good finger and hand dexterity.
Education/Experience: 5-7 years of prior Tool & Die Maker experience. Journeyman Tool & Die Maker certificate. A High School Diploma or a GED equivalent.
Metalcraft of Mayville is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
Minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity