About IDEA Public Schools:
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years – that’s 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA’s co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you—with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Tampa Bay, FL (2021), and Jacksonville, FL (2022)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video.
Role Mission: The Facilities and Construction Procurement Manager is responsible for the overall planning, execution, and oversight of the competitive bid process to create efficiency, drive value, and ensure compliance. This role will be responsible for sourcing vendors from many different areas including, but not limited to: waste management, lawn care, facilities supplies and materials, building and preventative maintenance, uniforms, playgrounds, and contracted services.
The Facilities and Construction Procurement Manager conducts sourcing activities in accordance with local, state, and national policies and procedures. Sourcing activities includes preparing solicitations, publication, and distribution of solicitations for bid or proposal, analysis of solicitation responses and final award. This role will negotiate with vendors for the best pricing for goods and/or services while making sure that all legal requirements of the process are met. Other responsibilities consist of quickly resolving customer complaints, vendor deficiencies, and any performance issues associated with their solicitations and/or contracts.
Zero findings in external and internal follow-up audits with 100% of documentation complete and uploaded into Tyler Munis by June 30.
- Research, understand, and internalize all procurement requirements and guidance that apply to IDEA Public Schools pertaining to the use of state and federal dollars, including procurement thresholds.
- Lead efforts to understand state and local procurement policies for expansion to new states and regions, including Jacksonville, FL, Cincinnati, OH, and Arkansas.
- Review, develop, and recommend changes and/or create internal practices that are aligned to those policies in new regions and states.
- Identify existing policies and practices within procurement that are out-of-line with existing state, federal, and local regulation and provide recommendations to remediate.
- Prepare paperwork, collect data, and collaborate with the Facilities and Construction Team in preparation for internal and external audits.
- Review existing purchasing cooperative agreements to ensure compliance with federal and state procurement guidelines.
Write, publish, and evaluate 8 RFPs/IFBs for either new or existing services required by the Facilities and Construction Department.
- Collaborate with members within the Facilities and Construction Team to determine which agreements are near expiration and prepare to solicit new bids and select providers. This may take place at the national level or within specific regions.
- Source options for a new uniform provider to service non-Texas regions that able to meet our demands for pricing, quality, accessibility, and customer service.
- Develop and deploy an evaluation tool to measure the effectiveness and quality of new and existing vendors.
- Partner with campus Facility Managers and Business Clerks to evaluate the performance of our furniture vendors at launching schools.
Achieve a 5% cost reduction on for competitively bid items while maintaining quality.
- Identify strategies to drive value in the bidding process with both front-end pricing considerations as well as back-end rebates and discounts.
- Identify new purchasing cooperatives that may drive value more effectively than our existing agreements.
- In conjunction with the Director of Procurement negotiate with existing vendors to increase savings or create more efficient processes to reduce direct and in-direct costs.
- Review existing agreements to recommend improvements in contract terms, reduce risk, mitigate waste, and streamline the procurement process.
Beginning of Year (BoY) Delivery: 100% of furniture, textbooks and instructional materials, and school start-up kits are delivered, installed, and ready for use two weeks before the First Day of School.
- In conjunction with the Procurement Project Manager, support launching schools with the tracking, delivery, installation, and setup of critical systems.
- Based on purchasing agreements and contracts, codify warranty and customer support mechanisms to ensure campuses receive maximum value from their material goods.
- With the Procurement Budget Analyst, deploy and maintain an inventory management system for furniture, technology, instructional materials, and equipment paid for by the Schools of Hope funding stream in Florida.
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college.
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
- Indirect supervision and support of campus-based facilities and procurement facing staff
- Vendor Management
- Mission Focus - focuses on IDEA’s core purpose of getting all students into college
- Record of Results – holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals
- Problem Solving – able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals
- Communication – effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques
- Continuous Improvement – proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions
- Bachelor Degree in accounting, finance, or business administration
- 5-7 years of formal work experience with at least 3 to 5 years of direct procurement experience in a medium to large organization, preferably in a school district or governmental entity. Experience in project management, logistics, training, and customer service a plus.
- Knowledge and Skills:
- Understanding of state and federal procurement regulations as they apply to school districts.
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong mathematical and accounting skills
- Strong analytical skills with ability to synthesize raw data into meaningful analysis
- Business awareness and knowledge of management practices.
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to organize and balance multiple long-term projects while prioritizing daily tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- High familiarity with Microsoft 365
- Strong vendor management and contract negotiations
- Strong problem-solving ability
Salaries for people entering this role typically start between $ and $, commensurate with relevant qualifications and experience. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational goal attainment.