Job Title: HealthMarket Clerk FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Health Revision Date: 05/2015
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Handles health items and food in a safe manner and ensures the work area is always clean and neat. Reviews the status and appearance of the merchandise for freshness.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Health Market Manager, Assistant Manager
Positions that Report to you: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
- Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
- Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
- Assists customers by:
- escorting them to the products they're looking for
- securing products that are out of reach
- loading or unloading heavy items
- making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
- performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience
- Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking customer orders.
- Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
- Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
- Reviews the status and appearance of the merchandise for freshness.
- Ensures an adequate product supply is ready and on hand and develops or follows a production list.
- For the purposes of homeopathic and natural wellness products, employee will assist customers by accessing/obtaining information and pointing to the product, however will not provide instruction on the product or its use.
- Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis.
- Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
- Reviews the status and appearance of the food for freshness and replenishes and rotates product.
- Removes trash in a timely manner.
- Replenishes product as necessary.
- Assists in educating customers by offering suggestions and answering questions, etc.
- Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
- Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
- Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Orders product and supplies as necessary.
- Prices products for customers as necessary.
- Delivers orders as needed.
- Assists in other areas of store as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent preferred; Six months previous related work experience.
- Visual requirements include: ability to see detail at near range with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish color), and field of vision.
- Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Must be able to perform the following physical activities: balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, handling, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
- Commitment to the Hy-Vee Mission and a willingness to promote the values of the company.
- Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
- Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
- Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
This position is exposed daily to dirt, noise, temperature extremes, dampness, vibrations, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents, and electrical shock. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Knives, wrapping machine, cash register, pallet jack, garbage disposal, trash compactor, cardboard compactor, and calculator
Deals with customers and general public on a daily basis.