As a member of the interdisciplinary group (IDG), provides professional nursing care to the Hospice's patients during non routine business hours. Responsible for identifying patient/family needs and for providing supportive care in accordance with the attending physician's orders, plan of care and the Hospice's policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assumes role of associate nurse when responding to patients/families of other primarynurses during on-call time, or when requested by the Director of Hospice to fill patient/familyneeds during the absence of another Primary Care Nurse.
- The assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating phases of the nursing process.
- Communicates with the hospice medical director, attending physician, other hospice staff members and other agencies as needed to coordinate care.
- Completes initial and comprehensive assessments of all patients admitted outside of the normal working hours of the hospice.
- Maintains regular communication with the Patient Care Manager to review caseload.
- Obtains data on physical, psychological, social and spiritual factors that may influence patient/family health status and incorporates that data into the plan of care.
- Maintains up-to-date patient records so that problems, plans, actions and goals are accurately and clearly stated and changes are reflected as they occur.
- Collaborates with other members of the Interdisciplinary Group to develop a comprehensive plan of care and goals within two days of the start of the patient's care and as necessary throughout the provision of service to assure response to the patient/family's changing needs.
- Provides Hospice nursing care based on systematic assessment focusing on pain control and symptom management.
- Teaches, supervises and counsels patients/families regarding physical care and other problems related to the patient's terminal condition.
- Provides guidance to patients/families to assist them in preparing for and coping with anticipated physical and psychological events throughout the dying process.
- Accurately documents observations, interventions and evaluations pertaining to patient care management and services provided in accordance with Hospice policyand procedures on the day services are rendered. Submits documentation in a timely manner.
- Reports changes and interventions to patient case manager to facilitate further discussion by IDG.
- Supervises the aide and the hospice aide plan of care everyfourteen (14) days and documents such supervision. If concerns are noted, observes the aide onsite providing care. If concerns are ongoing, reports to the Director of Hospice of the need to repeat a competencyevaluation with Aide.
- Informs the Director of Clinical Services of unusual or potentiallyproblematic patient/family issues.
- Shares in providing 24-hour, seven day week coverage to patients/families. Provides appropriate support at time of death and period of bereavement.
- Participates in Hospice's orientation and in-service training programs for staff.
- Participates in Hospice and community programs as requested to promote professional growth and understanding of Hospice care.
- Demonstrates familiarity with policies of the Hospice and rules and regulations of the State and Federal bodies which govern the provision of hospice care.
- Supports and implements Hospice policies regarding patient/family care.
- Assist the office by completing chart audits as assigned by clinical service coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing.
- Currently licensed in good standing to practice as a Registered Professional Nurse in the State of Georgia.
- Must have no less than one year experience in acute care setting as an RN prior to home care assignment, or experience as required by state regulations. At least two years of home care or hospice experience is required.
- Ability to meet Hospice's conditions of employment regarding health clearance, and provisions of professional references.
EEO / M/ F/ D/ V/ Drug-Free Workplace