Under direct supervision, performs unskilled and semi-skilled manual labor in the assistance of higher level maintenance personnel. Assists in inspecting, maintaining, and repairing County sanitary sewer, water, and storm drain systems. Lifts access covers to locate and remove debris in pipe lines. Also removes obstructions from open drains and catch basins. Assists in operating sewer cleaning and video inspection equipment. Repairs and assists in maintenance of manholes, pipe, and other facilities. May read and record water consumption meters, collect sewage samples, and assist Sewage Metering staff maintain various electronic meters. Uses hand tools to mix mortar and cement, dig and level earth, and sand and paint surfaces. Drives truck to transport work crews and materials. Cleans and prepares work sites, and clears debris. Cleans and maintains machinery, tools, and equipment. Lifts heavy objects on a regular basis, such as iron access covers and cement rings. May work in confined areas underground. Is alert to hazards and uses safe techniques on the job. Provides a written record of work performed, and follows department work and safety procedures.
Employees of this classification are required to be available for operational problems, equipment emergencies, widespread storms, power outages and other operations and maintenance emergencies as deemed necessary by management after normal working hours, weekends and holidays. Also, employees in this classification are required to be on assigned On-Call and/or On-Call alternate, as required by management.
At the time of application, applicants must:
- Have had at least six (6) months of full-time experience in a construction or maintenance field or related area.
- Possess a valid United States motor vehicle Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Group “A“ designation.Out of Country driver's license holders will be required to obtain the appropriate valid State of Michigan driver's license before the hire date.
Employees are required to possess additional endorsements when assigned to the following areas:
- Sewer Maintenance - “N“ endorsement with air brakes
- Construction Drain Maintenance - “N“ endorsement with air brakes
- Sewage Treat Plants - “N“ endorsement with air brakes
- Water Maintenance - Air brakes endorsement
- Systems Control - None
- Retention Basins - None
- Cross Connection - None
- Pump Maintenance - None
NOTE: Employees without the required CDL at time of application must obtain it by the end of the six month probationary period, at the employee's expense.
- Pass the complete examination, including the employment medical, established for this classification.
- Successfully complete the six month probationary period.
You are required to include your work experience in the Work Experience Section of your NEOGOV application. If you have previously included work history on a resume you must transfer your work history into the Work Experience Section prior to applying. Attached resumes will not be reviewed or considered. Please review the job posting, specifically the purpose of the position and the minimum qualifications, prior to answering the work experience question; and note that only related work experience will be considered. NOTE: Provide full detail in the employment history section noting the skills, experience and hours worked per week pertaining to the minimum qualifications.
Applications may be rejected if:
- A level of education can't be verified
- Stated years of related experience can't be verified within the work experience section of the application, i.e. not enough information provided, insufficient work history, inapplicable experience attributed to work history.
- The application is incomplete in ANY capacity
- Must maintain a valid United States Commercial Driver's License (CDL) as specified under required minimum qualifications.