SY 22-23 Special Education Teacher
High School Special Education Teacher
Special Education Teachers report to the Director of Student Support Services.
- Certification in Special Education.
- Bachelors degree (Masters preferred) with a concentration in a content area
- Secondary classroom experience in an urban context (three years preferred)
- Solid and demonstrable teaching experience working with a variety of student academic levels
- Creative and enthusiastic approach to teaching and learning
- Exhibits the ability to collaboratively work within and across disciplines with a diverse instructional team
- Be highly qualified in accordance with the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 and have a Masters Degree in Special Education and certification in Special Education Degree or certification in special education.
- Extensive background knowledge with EASY IEP.
- Knowledge of and experience with Universal Design for Learning.
- Expertise in programs used to assess students for services.
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of instructional strategies for students with disabilities.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse group of colleagues, parents, families, and community members
- Experience working with parents and community
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, classroom management, and adaptive teaching
- Growth minded, receiving and incorporating feedback from team leaders, executive leadership and peers
Special Education Teachers will be co-teaching with general education teachers in most cases.
Instructional Planning and Implementation
- Write a cohesive lesson plan and unit plans
- Uses student data to drive instructional decisions
- Develops and implements assessments aligned to GGA curriculum standards including formative and summative assessments
- Contributes to interdisciplinary curriculum planning and development including finding ways to connect the content to students local and global perspectives
Learning and Development
- Plans and teaches lessons using inquiry-based approaches to teaching and learning
- Uses a wide range of technologies and strategies to differentiate instruction based on readiness, learning difference, and interest
- Keeps up-to-date records of attendance and assessments in PowerSchool
School Community Engagement
- Fosters positive relationships with students
- Develops regular communication protocols with parents
- Delivers thoughtful guidance and support with advisory groups
- Engages professionally and enthusiastically with new school initiatives
- Participate in weekly and month professional development programs
IDEAL CANDIDATES WILL ALIGN TO OUR ACADEMIC APPROACH:
- Creating classroom experiences that embody our four pillars of sisterhood, scholarship, service and safety including establishing strong relationships to demonstrate that we care about them
- Foster deeply engaging lessons and activities that deliver the content in ways that excite and enable our students to learn
- Use resources to effectively differentiate for all types of learners through co-teaching with special education teachers and through providing students additional resources
About Our School
Girls Global Academy (GGA) is an all-girls public charter high school in Washington, DC. We are currently a Candidate to be an International Baccalaureate World School who offers the IB Career Programme with specific pathways in engineering and business.
As of January 2022 we have 35+ staff and 150+ students in 9th and 10th grade. As we continue to grow our student body to 400 students and 60 staff over the next 3-5 years we strive to establish a strong school culture where our four pillars of sisterhood, scholarship, service and safety are embedded in everything we do.
Our SY 22-23 Staff: You will be an integral part of growing our school, and as a member of the GGA Staff you understand that starting and growing a school is hard work, so you are empowered to take ownership over the work and have a responsibility to each of our students. You are truly a part of a resilient team that has an all-hands-on-deck mentality and faces challenges head on with clear communication. Our 2024, 2025, and 2026 graduating classes need staff that believe in our students, maintain strong community norms and are committed to making sure our students know they matter.
We are located in the heart of Washington D.C. between the Downtown and Chinatown neighborhoods, and just one block from the Gallery Place Metro Station. This ideal location allows us to engage our students in the vibrant and globally focused culture of the community and all that DC has to offer.
Girls Global Academy is a community of dedicated innovators who believe girls matter. Through our daily work, we are committed to actions that equip the next generation of leaders to navigate the world with confidence and compassion to succeed in any path they may choose. Our approach to education will allow girls to develop strong voices that inspire change.
Because you matter - this is who we are looking for:
- You are highly qualified and mission oriented
- You are passionate about all girls high school education
- You are flexible and adaptable to change and excited about working in a start-up school environment
- You are a self-starter, problem solver and have a growth mindset
- You are committed to assisting the school becoming Tier 1
If you meet these ideals - we want to speak with you about joining our team!
Our Commitments to Staff:
- Personalized professional development tailored to your needs as an educator
- Support and coaching from an experienced leadership team
- A seat at the table where you are a decision maker in an equitable and inclusive environment
- Work-life rhythm where you are encouraged to make self care a priority
How to Apply
Please submit your application to our online jobs portal. All applicants will have to pass a background check. Applicants must be permitted to work in the United States without a GGA sponsored Visa.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Girls Global Academy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws