Product Manager, Points-of-Interest (POI) Data
Maps are no longer static. Our maps represent the ever-evolving world, accessing, aggregating, and adapting anonymous data from millions of sensors and phones in real-time. Mapbox has the exciting opportunity to power devices and products across the next frontier in location-based data, such as Internet of Things and AR/VR.
Whether you’re watching the delivery of your grocery order on Instacart, looking at a gym on ClassPass, sending your snaps on Snapchat, tracking your personal best on Strava, monitoring your gas budget on Metromile, or checking today’s forecast on The Weather Channel, Mapbox is the location and maps within those apps. We’re changing how people move by live-mapping the world. We are the developer platform for location.
What We Do
Data Services is a division inside Mapbox, responsible for acquiring, processing, and delivering high quality location-oriented data to enable internal and external customers. We provide Mapbox maps and location search with fresh and precise GIS and Points-of-Interest (POI) data across multiple layers of our map. We provide data for routing, and real-time traffic data for our navigation services. We also productize conflated raw geolocation data from many open and commercial sources directly to our customers.
Points-of-Interest (POI) data is a key data layer for maps and search. POIs are the most sought and visited places, defined by popularity of general search terms in search engines, or popularity as defined by foot traffic. Some POI categories include eateries such as restaurants, cafés, bars, nightclubs; shopping venues, travel destinations, hotels, and automotive services such as gas stations and EV charging stations. The POI team acquires data from a variety of global open and commercial sources, processes them and prepares them for map rendering, searching, and navigating.
What You’ll Do
- Through continuous customer discovery and feedback, as well as competitive market analysis, you will develop POI data coverage and quality requirements that drive the overall strategy, roadmap, and direction on Mapbox’s POI data.
- You will survey the global market on best sources to obtain the highest quality POI data. You will develop and maintain relationships with key data providers and make data acquisition decisions, as well as negotiate and execute POI data acquisition deals
- You will build robust coverage + quality metrics and be accountable for POI data quality to internal and external customers
- You will understand what POI data unlocks what business opportunities and use that to prioritize data acquisition and conflation requirements
- Build up and share product knowledge across teams, contributing to best practices that grow the entire product team within Mapbox.
- Uphold a culture of collaboration, transparency, creativity, inclusion, and data-driven decisions.
What We Believe are Important Knowledge & Experiences for This Role
- Customer empathy and curiosity about what problems your work solves for your users
- 6+ years of proven ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technological and business problems.
- An analytical approach: you have strong SQL skills, and always use data to properly evaluate the success or failure of features, as well as guide your next steps.
- Ambiguity and independence: You can weed out what’s important in highly ambiguous spaces, and juggle a variety of competing priorities. Even so, you are autonomous and proactive around driving solutions to completion.
- Strong written and vocal communication skills: you can talk and write about complex ideas concisely to a wide audience and walk through decisions with teammates and collaborators. We work backwards, which means that we start product development by writing the Press Release and the FAQ. Writing documents early on clarify how the world will see the product - not just how we think about it internally.
- Ability to create and maintain multi-faceted relationships and business plans with key partners to build and negotiate creative data acquisition deals that offer maximum long term benefits
What We Value
- We value high performing creative individuals who dig into problems and opportunities.
- We value transparent, in-depth communication. Strong culture of open debate, decide, and commit. We value deeply understand problems and solving them at the root.
- We value the spirit of entrepreneurship, action-orientation, and fast moving ethos.
- We believe in individuals being their whole selves at work. We commit to this through supportive health care, parental leave, flexibility for the things that come up in life, and innovating on how we think about supporting our people.
- We emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
By applying for this position, you acknowledge that you have received the Mapbox Non-US Privacy Notice for applicants, which is linked here. Completing this application requires you to provide personal data, such as your name and contact information, which is mandatory for Mapbox to process your application.
Mapbox is an EEO Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity