Our client, the world’s largest scientific membership association and one of the top ten science publishers in the world, is actively hiring for a Senior Data Architect for their Editorial Systems Group. This team provides IT services for the Society’s Editorial and Peer Review initiatives.
The senior-level Data Architect will lead efforts in developing the New Editorial Reporting Data Store (NERDS) and will support database operation and development.
The senior-level Enterprise Data Architect will lead database development and maintenance work to support the AWS Cloud-based New Editorial Reporting Data Store (NERDS), Artificial Intelligence (AI) initiatives, the existing Journal Office Archive Solutions (JOAS) platform, and on-premise applications that are downstream from the NERDS data store that depend on NERDS data. Candidate must have familiarity implementing and maintaining operational data stores and data warehouses in the cloud (AWS), using Talend orchestration, Snowflake database, Tableau visualization, and Talend data cataloging. Work includes oversight and participation in enhancements to stored procedures (Oracle and Snowflake), developing ad-hoc queries as requested by the business customers, troubleshooting data problems, investigating performance issues, and investigating data load failures. The architect will be responsible for submitting change requests with scripts that DBAs can use to deploy database or data changes in the staging and production tiers.
The candidate will work with a team of software engineers and may be asked to lead in the design of new database structures and new procedures or packages to support new functionality. The architect will oversee updating of documentation in Confluence as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in information science or equivalent education.
- Three years of current data architect experience and at least 10 years of experience in database development.
- Expert knowledge
- of technology that NERDS uses to support interfacing downstream systems and AI initiatives; and
- of technology used for interconnecting applications within the Editorial Systems Group portfolio that are both on-premise and cloud-based.
- Advanced experience with
- Oracle and Snowflake Databases; in-depth understanding of database principles;
- gathering and analyzing system requirements;
- data mining and segmentation techniques;
- ETL processing and data catalog (Talend software)
- data visualization (Tableau software)
- updating or creating documentation for enhancements and design changes;
- facilitating decisions about the design and technology implementation;
- Linux, Linux shell scripting, and some Java/XML;
- MS SQL Server;
- Microsoft Office Visio, and Microsoft Project, Atlassian Confluence; and
- analysis and problem-solving.
- Theoretical knowledge of data warehouse concepts (star schemas, Kimball/Inmon, bus architecture vs. hub and spoke) is helpful.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate effectively and confidently with team members, management, and business customers.