Business Development Associate
Sparkfund is a Washington, DC-based company committed to radically improving the efficiency of the energy infrastructure in our built environment. Through an innovative subscription platform, we allow commercial customers to adopt the best energy technology without the upfront capital expense or ongoing maintenance constraints that come with owning the equipment. We strive to create positive change by deploying solutions that are good for business and good for the planet. And we’re building a diverse and collaborative culture to help us achieve all of that.
Sparkfund is hiring a Business Development Associate who will be responsible for managing commercial opportunities that enter our deal development lifecycle. You’ll work across the organization and with external stakeholders to gather the data we need, understand the assumptions around it, ensure supporting documentation is in place, and optimize price and value proposition to craft proposals and presentations for our customers (typically through a partner who has the direct relationship with the customer). You will get exposure to our entire commercial organization and can grow into roles across the company, or grow through the Business Development organization. This role will report to a Senior Director of Business Development and is a key contributor to our expanding Commercial organization. This position is perfect for someone who loves to problem solve, is excited for a new challenge every day, and wants to rapidly build experience across Business Development and/or Project Management.
This role is flexible on location. We expect you to occasionally spend time in Washington, DC to collaborate with other members of the team, learn the ins and outs of our business, and contribute to our company culture (this, of course, depends on local COVID rules and regulations).
- Coordinate timely and accurate handoff of data and customer information to and from multiple internal stakeholders, including our Sales, Engineering, Deal Structuring, Legal, and Delivery teams as needed
- Convert project specifications and inputs into the pricing for the customer, documenting assumptions, value drivers, and risks along the way
- Develop proposals and custom business case analyses that target the specific needs of each customer we are working with
- Track and communicate status of deal development in order to ensure proper internal and external expectations on proposal delivery
- Directly or indirectly support Partner commercial teams on the development of opportunities that they will sell to their customers
- Bring lessons learned back to the larger Sparkfund team and help build out the tools and processes of a robust commercial organization
- It is NOT a lead generation / origination role
Skills & Qualifications
- 1-4 years in a relevant field, such as business development, program development, project management, finance, consulting, or similar
- An inquisitive mind with a bias towards problem-solving
- Growth mindset with the self-confidence to tackle new challenges
- Experience in translating quantitative outputs into compelling stories for customers
- Proven ability to demonstrate good judgment and composure in difficult situations and with incomplete information
- Demonstrated mental agility and ability to switch between contexts quickly
We’d love it if you have
- Dedication to what we’re building at Sparkfund and a passion for combating climate change
- Experience working with or within the Utilities, Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy, Resilience, or ESCO industries
- Competency in software and cloud-based information management tools including Salesforce, Google Workspace, Google App script, Slack, Asana, Excel, PowerPoint, and project management tools
- Familiarity with project development in the energy industry, including financing solutions including leases, loans, or energy service agreements
- Competitive compensation and stock option plans - we believe in radical shared ownership.
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, vision, and dental insurance; pre-tax commuter benefits; disability and life insurance
- Flexible vacation policy that encourages ~4 weeks of paid time off
- We honor all of the federal holiday and believe in the long weekends. Sparkfund is closed every Friday before a Monday holiday as well.
- 8 weeks gender-neutral paid leave for caregivers when they have a new addition to their families.
- A company laptop and any other hardware you need.
We Want You To Know
You can be a great candidate even if you don't fit everything we've described above. You can also have important skills we haven't thought of. If that's you, don't hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself . We are dedicated to environmental stewardship and recognize we need diverse perspectives to successfully tackle this massive challenge. To change the world, we must first change ourselves, which is why Sparkfund has created a space that sources viewpoints from people who look and think differently.
We are committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences, and we're taking steps to meet that commitment.
We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.