Fall 2022 Higher Education Intern-(Paid)
New Americas Education Policy Program seeks applicants who have a strong interest in higher education policy for a paid internship in fall 2022, with a possibility of extending through spring 2023. The intern will primarily assist the programs higher education team with research, data, and policy analysis for various projects, in addition to writing blogs for the programs website. Interns must be self-starters who are excited to work both independently and as part of a team on a variety of higher education research projects. The internship can be done remotely, or some combination of remote and in-person presence in our Washington, DC office.
New Americas Education Policy Program is a think-tank leader in early education, K-12, higher education, and the workforce. In addition to conducting research and analysis related to federal higher education policy, interns will have the opportunity to publish their own blogs and other work, attend events on behalf of New America, and connect with some of the brightest and most ambitious thinkers in the field. They will also have the opportunity to attend New America virtual events, professional development, and off-the-record policy events with fellows and staff from other New America policy programs.
- Work approximately 20-30 hours per week, from mid September to mid December 2022 with the opportunity to extend through the spring semester
- Conduct research and analysis on education policy issues
- Write for the Education Policy Programs blog, EdCentral
- Assist with planning and staffing for virtual New America Education Policy Program events
- Attend virtual events and Congressional hearings on behalf of the education program
- Perform some administrative work supporting New America projects
- Demonstrated interest in higher education policy. Because of the content knowledge in higher education policy needed for this position, an undergraduate or graduate student with knowledge of institutional, state, and/or federal higher education policy is preferred.
- Excellent writing and communications skills; previous blogging experience or writing for a public audience a plus
- Passion for education and equity
- Intellectual curiosity, motivation, and a desire to learn on-the-job; must be a self-starter and have the ability to work independently and with a team
- Experience with either quantitative or qualitative research methods, and the ability to conduct background research on higher education topics with some guidance
- Ability to work and attend some scheduled meetings 10:00AM-4:00PM eastern time
The pay rate is commensurate with experience, the range is $18-$20/hour for this position.
Please submit a cover letter depicting your experience, a current resume, and a response (no more than 300 words) to the following question: What do you believe is the most pressing issue in higher education policy currently, whether at the institutional, state, or federal level, and how can policymakers and/or colleges and universities address the issue?
In your cover letter, please indicate whether you prefer to do the internship remotely, in-person, or a combination of both. The responses to this question are only used for informational purposes.
Only candidates with all required materials are considered. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, but candidates who apply by 11:59PM EST August 21 are given priority. Start and end dates are flexible but the ideal candidate would be available to start by mid to late September 2022.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS WILL BE ANSWERED.
New America is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce at all levels of the organization thereby creating a culture that allows us to better serve our clientele, our employees and our communities. We value and encourage the contributions of our employees and strive to create an environment where everyone can reach their full potential and drive outstanding results.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. This policy applies with regard to all aspects of ones employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.