COVID-19 Precaution: Virtual Interviews
Our commitment to hiring the best talent in the industry and helping them thrive professionally is stronger than ever. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we will be conducting our hiring process virtually and conducting interviews via phone or video until further notice. We will provide candidates selected for interviews with all the required instructions. Thank you for your interest in Sargent & Lundy.
Sargent & Lundy is one of the most experienced full-service architect-engineering firms in the world. Founded in 1891, the firm is a global leader in power and energy with expertise in grid modernization, renewable energy, energy storage, nuclear power, and fossil fuels. Sargent & Lundy delivers comprehensive project services—from consulting, design and implementation to construction management, commissioning and operations/maintenance—with an emphasis on quality and safety. The firm serves public and private sector clients in the power and energy, gas distribution, industrial, and government sectors.
Sargent & Lundy's Core ValuesEvery decision we make is guided by our core values. By upholding these six principles, we support our clients, employees, and community. They are the compass we follow as we continue to grow our business and lead the industry.
- Quality – We provide high-quality deliverables and services through an uncompromising focus on peer review, safety, and continuous improvement.
- Accountability – Our actions demonstrate the highest levels of professionalism, integrity, and respect.
- Our People – We value diverse perspectives, encourage professional growth, and are committed to providing a work community where people thrive. Our work is challenging but rewarding.
- Our Clients – We deliver value and exceed our clients' expectations through outstanding customer service, personal accessibility, and clear communication.
- Innovation – Since 1891, we have invested in the people, training, tools, and technology needed to quickly adapt in a constantly changing world.
- Meaningful Impact – We make a positive impact in the communities where we work and live.
Due to continued growth, our Electric Grid Infrastructure Services Group is seeking an experienced Lead Substation Physical Engineer.
- This position offers you the opportunity to work in a project team environment with other engineers and designers involved in the detailed electrical design and project management of distribution and transmission substation projects.
- As a Lead Substation Physical Engineer, you will take an active role in project conceptualization, work planning, and project execution.
- You will work on challenging assignments that include investigating, trouble-shooting, and solving a wide variety of electrical engineering and design issues.
- As a Lead Substation Physical Engineer, you will prepare reports and support project deliverables that present technical and project information in a clear and concise manner and meet client requirements and S&L formats. Typical deliverables include: Facility Studies, General Arrangement, Equipment Plans and Sections, Foundation Plans, Grounding and Conduit Plans, Equipment Connection Details, Control Building Plans and Sections.
- Develop your career via peer-learning through sharing of knowledge with other experienced engineers by way of S&L's systems of process and associated “Communities of Practice.“
- Highly motivated self-starter with an ability to work remote or in an office.
- In addition, you may have the opportunity to travel to client sites as needed.
Dependent upon your location, this opportunity offers a generous relocation package.
We do not sponsor employees for work authorization in the U.S. for this position.
Essential skills and experience:
- A BSEE degree from an ABET-accredited electrical engineering program.
- 10 or more years experience in the physical layout and design of Transmission and Distribution Substations.
- Knowledge of physical design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and 3D models.
- Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology, including the ability to relate various equipment to a technical design.
- Ability to prioritize work and manage multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Experience in reviewing design drawings created by others.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications.
Valued but not required skills and experience:
- Proficient with AutoCAD and/or MicroStation.
- Familiar with Bentley Substation, BlueBeam, AutoCAD E or SDS design software.
- Ability to prepare substation grounding calculations, direct stroke shielding calculations, battery & charger sizing calculations, etc.
- Transmission Line and protection & controls experience.
- Familiarity with ANSI/IEEE/NEMA standards as they relate to physical substation design. This includes the National Electrical Safety Code (ANSI - C2).
- FE or PE license.
Sargent & Lundy is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any protected status as defined by law.