Avedro is a leading commercial-stage ophthalmic medical technology company focused on treating corneal ectatic disorders and improving vision to reduce dependency on eyeglasses or contact lenses. Avedros proprietary Corneal Remodeling Platform is designed to strengthen, stabilize and reshape the cornea utilizing corneal cross-linking in minimally invasive and non-invasive outpatient procedures to treat corneal ectatic disorders and correct refractive conditions. The Avedro Corneal Remodeling Platform is comprised of Avedros KXL and Mosaic systems, each of which delivers ultraviolet A light, and a suite of proprietary single-use riboflavin drug formulations, which, when applied together to the cornea, induce a biochemical reaction called corneal collagen cross-linking.
- Masters or PhD in engineering preferred, Bachelors degree is required.
- Minimum of 10 years industry experience including:
- Design of complex optical systems incorporating laser diode sources, fiber optics, and beam steering mechanisms
- Specification of optical components and coatings
- Development of production optical test equipment and alignment tools, and related work instructions and procedures
- Definition and execution of verification and validation test protocols
- Ultraviolet (UV), visible, and near infrared (NIR) LEDs and laser systems
- Design of optical mounts and fixtures and design of imaging and illumination systems is an additional preference
- Class 2 medical device experience strongly preferred, other regulated industry experience (aerospace, defense) minimum.
- Proficient with Zemax (or equivalent optical modeling tool) and SolidWorks.
- Familiarity with Arena PLM system preferred, experience with other PLM system at a minimum.
- Standard Microsoft Office computer skills including use of Word, Excel, Visio, and PowerPoint.
- Familiar with medical device design control procedures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Team leadership experience is an additional preference.
The Principal Optical Engineer shall be responsible for the following functions:
- Ownership of all aspects of optical design for corneal cross-linking device, from initial concept and proof-of-principle to manufacturing hand-off to sustaining engineering improvements.
- Providing guidance and input to related opto-mechanical design work.
- Definition and execution of verification and validation test protocols.
- Design and production tooling, test fixtures, and related work instruction and procedures.
- Ensuring that development process is aligned with design control SOP's and industry standards.
- Interface with electrical, mechanical and software engineering teams, operations, research, quality assurance, and program management on an ongoing basis.
- Provide technical and organizational direction to other members of the System Engineering team.
- Self-starter with the ability to recognize and solve complex issues with minimal guidance.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds.