Contract up to 6 months
Metrolinx is connecting communities across the Greater Golden Horseshoe. Metrolinx operates GO Transit and UP Express, as well as the PRESTO fare payment system. We are also building new and improved rapid transit, including GO Expansion, Light Rail Transit routes, and major expansions to Toronto’s subway system, to get people where they need to go, better, faster and easier. Metrolinx is an agency of the Government of Ontario.
We embody our values in everything that we do. We Serve with Passion, Think Forward, and Play as a Team. If you can relate, we want to hear from you!
Our Accounting Office is looking for a Chief Accountant to manage the delivery of corporate accounting services, cash forecasting, investment, financial reporting, and financial controls to secure corporate assets while reporting to the Manager, Accounting.
What will I be doing?
- Oversees the accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger and banking functions, for both capital and operating budgets, across the corporation, ensuring compliance with relevant agreements, regulations and legislation. This includes invoicing municipalities for capital projects (e.g. BRT, VIVA), approving threshold payments, signing off on cheque runs up to $50 million, and overseeing project accounting requirements such as cash advances
- Supervises and directs the maintenance of current and accurate financial records and reconciliations of all subsidiary accounts and bank accounts
- Directs monthly Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) submission and oversees related audits
- Conducts and maintains short- and long-term cash flow forecasts to determine future and ongoing corporate cash requirements
- Responsible for the preparation of all monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements
- Prepares mandatory special reports for Executives, Management Board of Ontario Cabinet, and other external organizations
- Responds to internal and external client requests for ad hoc financial analysis, interpretation and explanation
- Provides payment, recording and reporting financial services to management, and external agencies
- Collaborates with external auditors, the Auditor General of Ontario, and federal auditors to provide financial reports/statements within required deadlines, explain results and exceptions, resolve issues and conduct required analysis
- Plans, develops recommendations for, implements, and monitors corporate financial and accounting policies, procedures, and controls that adhere to legal, regulatory and accounting requirements
- Oversees and monitors cash availability to meet disbursements and other obligations, and executes investment transactions for optimal financial benefit while ensuring acceptable risk
- Manages a team of 10-15 bargaining unit and non-bargaining unit staff
- Manages staff and consultants engaged in teams and workgroups; delivers timely feedback to ensure a cohesive operational unit and the optimum use of team skills; monitors work assignments for adherence to timelines and the achievement of contractor performance objectives outlined in Agreement terms and conditions; develops and implements action plans to address performance gaps
- Completion of a degree in Business Administration, Finance, or a related discipline or a combination of education, training and experience deemed equivalent
- Charted Professional Accountant (CPA) or a similar accounting designation is required
- Minimum six (6) years’ progressive experience leading financial accounting functions, ideally within the public sector
- Knowledge of budget development, accounting and financial management, along with management processes
- Experience and knowledge of government reporting and disclosure legislation to ensure compliance is a definite asset
- Knowledge of Human Resources legislation to lead and supervise staff, including experience in the application of collective agreement provisions
- Proficiency in MS Office with advanced Excel proficiency is essential
- Exceptional problem solving and analytical skills to analyze financial data and operational audits, and recommend action
- Project management principles and practices to lead and direct workgroups and teams engaged in accounting activities and monitor activities for adherence to timelines and performance objectives
- Interpersonal and oral/written/presentation communication skills to develop financial reports and post-audit recommendations
Accommodation will be provided throughout the hiring process, as required. Applicants must make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume online through the Current Opportunities page.
All applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Metrolinx will be using email to communicate with you for all job competitions. It is your responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence, we recommend that you check your email regularly. If no response is received, we will assume you are no longer interested in pursuing the opportunity. Please be advised that a Criminal Record Check may be required of the successful candidate. Should it be determined that any background information provided be misleading, inaccurate or incorrect, Metrolinx reserves the right to discontinue with the consideration of your application.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER