Dewberry is currently seeking Construction Inspectors to work on highway and bridge projects in the Fredericksburg and Williamsburg, VA areas. The Construction Inspector function is to monitor the work of contractors to ensure quality control and contract compliance for roadway, structures, and bridge construction projects of moderate to considerable complexity. Candidates should have VDOT inspection experience and VDOT inspection certifications. Prior experience with local municipalities and public and private utility companies is a plus.
Dewberry is a leading, market-facing professional services firm with more than 50 locations and 2,000 professionals nationwide. What sets us apart from our competitors are our people. At Dewberry, we seek out exceptional talent and strive to deliver the highest quality of services to our clients. Whether you’re an experienced professional or a new graduate, you’ll have the chance to collaborate with the best and brightest and work on innovative and complex projects at the forefront of the industry. Our commitment to excellence stems from our personal integrity and from other defining attributes, which we call “Dewberry at Work,” that have inspired our employees to be successful for more than a half-century.
- Monitor operations to ensure contractor compliance with plans, contract terms and specifications
- Coordinates and schedules various phases of construction inspection with the contractor, DOT representatives and other agencies
- Reviews and monitors contractor’s plan of operation including phasing and Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) plans
- Advises contractors of violations and reviews and recommends approval of corrective measures
- Identifies necessary changes to construction plans to meet field conditions
- Makes field measurements of pay items and conducts materials testing
- Observes and monitors contractor’s construction equipment
- Maintains and reviews comprehensive project records including daily diaries, materials notebooks, as-built plans, pay quantity records, progress schedules, work orders, and monthly estimates.
Required Skills & Required Experience
- Minimum 3 years of DOT construction inspection or related construction experience
- Working knowledge of mathematics including algebra, geometry, and trigonometry.
- Working skill in operating computer equipment, software programs and field inspection equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret roadway and bridge plans and contract specifications
- Knowledge of all elements of roadway and storm drainage construction methods, materials, standards and specification
- Apply mathematical formulas and engineering principles to determine field adjustments
- Maintain detailed records
- Communicate effectively with agency and contractor personnel and the general public
- Ability to drive assigned and/or personal vehicles within roadways and project sites to perform construction inspection activities
*At this time, Dewberry will not sponsor a new applicant for work authorization.
*Dewberry is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or sexual orientation.
*Only recipients of an offer of employment from Dewberry, will be required to submit to a background screening which may include, but is not limited to, employment verification, educational and other credential verification, driving record check, criminal background check, and an investigative consumer report. These screenings will be conducted by Dewberry’s background vendor of choice and will be conducted in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local law.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!Click here to get started.