Laboratory Processing Tech-VH, Lab Core Lab, PerDiem
Viera Hospital Inc
To be fully engaged in providing Quality/No Harm, CustomerService and Stewardship by:
- Ensuring optimal support of laboratory testing activitiesthrough timely and accurate specimen collection
- Processing customer requests (with the understanding thatpatients, visitors, all hospital staff, physicians, and fellow co-workers areall our customers) and resolving customer issues in a fantastically friendly,courteous, professional, and timely manner
- Using all resources in the most efficient manner.
- Understands and applies knowledge of test specimenrequirements and utilizes available reference materials to ensure that allrequired specimens are collected and no omission errors or inadequate specimensresult.
- Uses care in performance of duties to avoid clerical errorsat the points of registration or test order from Reference Lab Requisitions(errors: tests ordered under wrong account, tests ordered under wrong facility,tests ordered under wrong physician, wrong test ordered, or not ordering testsas indicated); as applicable.
- Complies with policies/procedures/processes in thecollection and processing of patient specimens and provision of patientservices, including offsite phlebotomy services as applicable.
- Meets collection turn-around-times >98% daily.
- Performs venipunctures with <3% recollects.
- Performs blood culture collections with <3% contaminationrate.
- Assures valid patient results as evidenced by zero patientor sample identification errors in the pre-analytical and post-analyticalphases of laboratory procedures per evaluation period.
- Understands and provides quality patient care by providingcomplete and accurate information on all collection materials (labeling errorsduring collection defined as: rejected specimen due to manual misspelling ofpatient name or rejected specimens due to missing required information).
- Ensures the correct procedures are performed on the correctpatient by verifying two forms of patient identification.
- Verifies orders from the requisition.
- Verifies that the label (s) is ordered correctly andcorresponds to the requisition, as applicable.
- Practices aseptic and sterile techniques.
- Meets safe driving requirements and maintains uncompromisedspecimen integrity during transporting of specimens via automobile, asapplicable.
- Adheres to Joint Commission National Patient Safety Goals.
- Reports all malfunctioning equipment (non-IT) to the BioMeddepartment, fellow associates, and management.
- Reports all malfunctioning IT equipment (i.e., telephones,PCs, paper printers, etc.) to the IT department, fellow associates, andmanagement.
- Completes specified jobs/tasks by deadline and/or providesrequested information in a timely and concise manner.
- Maintains current AHA BLS certification, American MedicalTechnologists, National Healthcare Certification (but not limited too) andrenews all applicable certifications before the expiration date in compliance withall renewal criteria; as applicable.
- Knowledge regarding location of emergency equipment/suppliesand how to use such equipment/supplies.
- Familiar with the Health First Emergency Kardex andresponsibilities in relation to specified emergent codes.
- Responsible for hurricane preparedness and their particularresponsibilities as a Health First associate.
- Knowledgeable of specimen collection requirements andprovides accurate and timely laboratory expertise.
- All specimens (s) are documented with the correct patientsinformation.
- Demonstrates the appropriate skill sets as determined by theAnnual Competency Assessments.
- Ability to perform basic computer skills pertinent to jobperformance.
- Monitors and complies with Joint Commission/CAP standardsand performs all job functions in accordance with State and Regionalrequirements to ensure compliance to these standards.
- Offers suggestions for improvement with departmentalimprovements; implements or revises section protocols and/or departmentpolicies and procedures.
- Attends all mandatory meetings/in-services andreads and signs off on all meeting minutes as required
- High school diploma or equivalent with at least one year of venipuncture and specimen handling experience OR graduate of accredited phlebotomy program
- Current AHA BLS certification and maintained
- Valid FL Drivers License, as applicable
- Excellent customer service skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and organize to maximize quality, value, service, and productivity
- Strong computer skills
- Willing and able to work with bio-hazardous/toxic materials following OSHA guidelines.
- Must be able to cover alternative shifts to meet customer needs when requested by supervisor
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- National Phlebotomy Certification from an accredited National Phlebotomy Certification Agency preferred
- EKG certification, as applicable
- Medical Terminology strongly preferred