Have you ever build any of the most popular open-source browsers like Brave/Chromium/Firefox?
Would you be excited to the idea of setting up build pipelines for an open source browser?
System1 is hiring a Web Developer (back-end development) to join our team. This is a diverse role that will involve “hacking” on the Mozilla platform, mostly on the backend. You will work with experts who know the Mozilla platform inside-out, while being a key contributor to novel open-source products which already have a passionate and growing user base.
Key goals for this role: Keep a “classic” version of the browser up-to-date with security patches; update components where possible and create better compatibility with legacy add-ons for the newer version of the platform that supports them. Build system work is required for this role sometimes, but that’s one of the fun parts!
The Role You Will Have
- Write code and tests, build prototypes, tackle problems, profile and analyze bottlenecks
- Learn about a wide variety of problems and solutions across a large, mature codebase (ex: how can we improve on the UX, make transitioning from other browsers easier, support legacy add-ons better?)
- Work with driven, committed team members to help bring the most customizable web browser to a larger audience.
What You Will Bring
- BS/MS in CS, CE or 3+ years relevant work experience
- You care deeply about making the browser fast and customizable (it takes trial and error to make things work on this code base, patience is ideal)
- Proficiency setting up build pipelines for binaries with Multi OS support
- Strong debugging skills (Valgrind, GDB)
- Experience working with version control systems (especially git).
- Exposure to the internals of the Mozilla platform (SpiderMoney engine), or curiosity and drive to learn from experts on the team.
- Interest in privacy and privacy-aware technologies.
Bonus Points if You Have
What We Have To Offer
- Free Uber/Lyft to and from work every day!
- Collegial and collaborative team with highly intelligent and motivated coworkers
- Cross-team lunches and demos to foster learning
- Unlimited Paid Sick Time, Competitive PTO and Benefits package
- Daily catered meals and fully stocked kitchen
- Bi-weekly happy hour at various bars, restaurants, and venues across Los Angeles
- Bi-weekly onsite happy hour
- Catered dinner on Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Weekly fitness class with private trainer: high intensity training, yoga, beach volleyball, beach soccer, ultimate frisbee
- Company parties and outings: Skyzone indoor skydiving, Medieval Times, Karaoke, etc.