We are Kabam. We are a global leader in mobile game development – and we create blockbuster mobile hits – some with marquee licensed IP partners including MARVEL CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS and TRANSFORMERS: FORGED TO FIGHT, and also wholly owned IP like the critically-acclaimed SHOP TITANS: CRAFT & BUILD. We have ambitious plans to grow over the next five years – and are looking for strategic, smart, creative, and courageous people to contribute to our team’s success.
At Kabam, the Marketing team is taking a major step-change forward in how we show up and contribute to the success of the company. We aspire to deliver the best work in the video game industry. To do that, we believe that marketing has to perform two fundamental roles. We have to show up early and often in product development with our studio partners, and be equipped with impactful player and market insights to create amazing experience for our players. We also pioneer and innovate in how we ignite conversation with fans across the world – around the product and brands that our players are passionate about – through compelling content, programs, partnership activations, and more.
In the Senior Director – Brand Marketing on New IP, we are looking for an engaging, enthusiastic, accountable, and player-centric marketing leader to help take us to the next level of marketing performance. You will work closely with leaders in product development, publishing, external licensors, and more to bring new titles to market and provide ongoing live operations strategy vision and direction to marketing campaign efforts. You have a passion for games, for the world of entertainment and pop culture, and have a strong will to succeed and win as part of a team. You have a thirst for player, consumer, and market insights that guide brand, product, and marketing campaign strategy – that in turn unlocks the best work from cross functional teams who follow your playbook. You understand and relish the importance of great storytelling – and can take complex business, product, player, and brand insights and transform them into actionable steps for your staff and your teammates to inspire them to do their best work.
Sound like fun? Feel like it’s the right fit for you and for us? In terms of the role, we expect you to be the Franchise Expert. That means being the leaders in four phases:
- Lead franchise, long-term thinking around consumer segmentation, target audience profiling, and motivation mapping designed to inform critical investment strategies in New IP opportunities.
- Develop Brand and Marketing Campaign strategy based on key player/ consumer insights that fuel a framework for how to go-to-market.
- Partner with Consumer Insights to improve on best practices and uncover new ways of thinking around audience profiling, player motivations & satisfaction, and future trend research.
- Craft Brand Strategy for New IP including Brand Vision, Brand Promise, Brand Emotional and Functional Benefits, Brand Voice, and Brand Muse.
- Have the ability to develop strong brands for multiple games in different genres.
- Be the Brand Ambassador with key external partners including licensors.
- Think and execute on a brand level – above and beyond product marketing and product lifecycles.
- Create Creative Briefs for New IP related work including brand identity, logos, trailers, etc.
- Be able to evaluate creative assets, programs and partnerships through a defined brand lens.
- Craft the Business & Brand Brief for franchises, designed to outline who is the audience, why would they play the games we are looking to create, what would motivate them to play, what is the brand we need to build, and how does that deliver on business goals.
- Partner with product development leadership to ensure that the right product features and updates are being prioritized and created at a high-quality level to both engage and bring joy to players while also inspiring new fans to install and join our communities.
- Managing and mentor Campaign Marketing staff who will set the Go-to-Market Strategy Brief and orchestrate marketing plans with cross functional teams.
- Provide brand and marketing leadership, guard-rails, and guidance to expert, innovative, and passionate cross-functional groups that are tasked with bringing your franchise products to market.
- Oversee comprehensive analyses and post mortem reports on marketing campaigns, working with game analysts and BI teams to interpret and report on results.
- Manage vendor relationships on major brand initiatives in support of product launches (i.e. trailers).
- Work with Consumer Insights to validate and test hypotheses around positioning, audience and product appeal, brand identity, and product quality.
- Contribute to setting mid and long term commercial KPIs for Franchise (in partnership with product development and finance).
- Work with Finance and CFX partners to manage annual marketing budgets.
- Responsibility manage marketing investments relative to franchise PnLs.
- Building strong relationships cross-functionally with multiple teams within Kabam.
- Partner with Business Development and successful represent your brands with 1st party partners.
Your Background Includes:
- Strong brand and product marketing success track record.
- 6+ years in a brand leadership position
- Experience in classical brand management training around product positioning.
- Experience in fast-paced, launch-centric entertainment industries like video games.
- Experience in live operations/ subscription/ evergreen content services.
- Strong background in developing new brands from the ground up– fueled by brand strategy and consumer insights - and achieving successful results.
- Successful track record in partnership with product development or R&D to create great products or services.
- A mix of having worked on licensed IP and non-licensed IP.
- Experience working with external partners and licensors, developing and following brand guidelines
- Strong presentation and storytelling skills. Experience in galvanizing peer and partner groups around brand and product vision.
- Enthusiastic and empowering leadership.
- Positive energy and contributions to team-centered goals and success.
- Experience developing strong working relationships with cross-functional teams in multiple geographic locations.
- Strong analytical capabilities.
- Strong project management experience including organizational skills, scheduling, and the ability to multi-task.
- Passion for consumer entertainment and games
- Self-starter, proactive problem solver, and entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong computer skills.
- Must have a passion for video games. Must actively play games on mobile.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education and experience.
Together, we can create and support some of the best games ever made.
Kabam is a world leader of developing entertaining, immersive, and highly social multiplayer games for mobile devices. They merge consumer behaviour with the art of game design to create experiences that are enjoyed by millions of players across the globe. Each game has raised the benchmark in mobile gaming, bringing high-quality graphics, next-generation technology and revolutionary gameplay to the console in every player’s pocket.
Kabam has partnered with leading entertainment brands like Disney, Hasbro and Universal to create mobile games based on some of the world’s most iconic franchises.
Kabam’s games have generated hundreds of millions of downloads including Fast & Furious 6: The Game, Fast & Furious: Legacy, Marvel Contest of Champions, Transformers: Forged to Fight, Shop Titans and Mini Guns. These games have also received multiple awards such as Apple’s Editor’s Choice and Google Play’s Best Game of the Year.
Founded in 2006, Kabam has studios and offices in Vancouver, Montreal, Charlottetown, San Francisco and Austin. Kabam is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Netmarble Games.