Performs a variety of clerical and technical tasks associated with the pre and post-analytic phases of the laboratory work flow.
- Appropriately manages laboratory information.
- Collects blood specimens using age-appropriate techniques and receives/accessions samples for testing.
- Completes registration and/or test order entry.
- May occasionally assist clinicians in special procedures.
- Processes specimens according to established protocol.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Education/including Licensure/ Certification/ Registration
- California State Phlebotomy Technician I or II Certification is required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Post-high school course work related to the medical field (e.g. medical terminology, basic anatomy, physiology, etc.) is preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory operations is required.
- General knowledge of blood borne pathogens and lab safety is preferred.
- Experience in one or more of the following: phlebotomy,specimen processing or clerical (lab preferred).
- Proficiency in laboratory and/or hospital information systems is highly desirable.
- Patient contact in a hospital setting is preferred.
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a complex fast-paced environment and take appropriate actions in emergent situations.
- Must be able to work within established timeframes with attention to detail and accuracy.