Help Desk Support
Our client is looking for an energetic, enthusiastic self-starter to be an IT/Telecom Support Specialist II in the technology office. The position is with the Information Technology & Innovation (ITI) Division, which provides support to over 700 users.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Primary duties include:
(1) Configuration and deployment of desktops/laptops/mobile devices;
(2) end user support and troubleshooting;
(3) Microsoft application support.
- In Help Desk support, the IT/Telecom Support Specialist acknowledges assigned Help Desk tickets in a timely manner. This employee resolves tickets and documents the solution in the Help Desk database using the Help Desk software.
- In PC support and troubleshooting, the IT/Telecom Support Specialist configures and deploys new desktops/laptops/tablets/printers; troubleshoots existing devices and peripherals; and installs and troubleshoots both standard and specialized applications.
- The IT/Telecom Support Specialist provides thorough and timely support to our Enterprise facilities such as ice rinks, indoor tennis facilities, and a public garden, to ensure point-of-sale systems are operational for ticket sales.
Examples of Important Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
1. Provide end-user support in one or more functional areas such as desktop support, telecommunications, mobile devices, file server access, peripherals and software support. Respond quickly to Help Desk tickets and provide thorough service to the customer and document all work done. Troubleshoot hardware and software problems, printers, PCs and LAN connections. Install software patches, fixes and updates; scan for viruses and malware to detect and clean infections.
2. Install, configure and test hardware/software and peripheral equipment. Perform research to resolve problems, seeking help from a more experienced worker or supervisor when necessary.
3. Under supervision, conduct system analysis to determine end-user needs for new software or hardware. Develop plans for configuring, testing and installing systems; research hardware and software capabilities, compatibility, and other characteristics.
4. Participate in performing network administration tasks; under direction, add, delete, modify and properly allocate space to users in Active Directory; give immediate attention to common enduser problems; assist in monitoring the status of the file servers, perform preventive maintenance and assist with tape backups.
5. Assist system administrators to manage day-to-day operation of physical and virtual servers, network operating systems, telecommunications infrastructure, and application software including monitoring file servers for performance issues; assist with server maintenance and security measures to prevent downtime. Assist with system backups and tape rotation scheme and protection to tapes based on industry best practices; under direction, provide corrective actions to ensure the stability and accessibility of servers, operating systems, applications, and infrastructure. Under direction, provide corrective action to ensure stability and accessibility; provide access to file server resources to end users and perform data restoration when necessary.
6. Under direction, place service calls to providers during outages or intermittent problems; perform troubleshooting and remedies under direction of WAN administrator; receive alarms from network monitoring system and take appropriate action to correct them.
7. Keep supervisor informed of work activities, progress, and problems. Participate in the development and recommendation of standards, policies, and procedures; assist in developing goals and objectives. Create project plans for migrations and implementation of new systems; prepare end-user and technical documentation.
8. Maintain up-to-date knowledge of hardware and software in use at the Commission. Operate computers proficiently with advanced knowledge of core software used in the Commission including the Microsoft Office Suite and specialized software.
9. Effectively communicate in writing and orally, including making oral presentations at meetings.
10. Provide support with Polycom desk phones, Microsoft Teams voice and Resource Manager server.
1. Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Management Systems, or any related field.
2. Three (3) years of experience in information technology support functions.
3. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted, which together when total five (5) years.
4. Depending upon area of assignment, a valid driver’s license. Driver’s license must be unencumbered by restrictions, revocations, suspensions, or points that could limit the employee’s ability to drive Commission vehicles or perform driving duties required by the position of assignment.
5. Pass Commission medical examination.
Work is performed in an office setting and remote sites. Work involves driving a Commission fleet vehicle to various sites; walking, standing, bending, crouching, and lifting and moving computer equipment including desktops, printers, monitors, and other equipment. Work must be performed accurately and may require occasional overtime, after-hours, weekend or on-call work