Who We Are
Ocado is a UK based company admitted to trading on the London Stock Exchange (Ticker OCDO). It comprises one of the world's largest dedicated online grocery retailers, operating its own grocery and general merchandise retail businesses under Ocado.com and other specialist shop banners, together with its Ocado Solutions division.
The Ocado Solutions division is responsible for providing Ocado’s innovative advanced robotics technology, known as the Ocado Smart Platform (“OSP“), to our major retailer clients around the world. OSP comprises access to Ocado's physical infrastructure solutions, running highly efficient warehouse operations for the single pick of products, together with the entire end-to-end proprietary software applications and advanced robotics required to operate a world-class online grocery business.
Our unique, proprietary and industry-leading technology is set to transform the shopping experience of consumers around the world. We have partnered with the Kroger Family of Companies in the US to help redefine the grocery customer experience through the adoption of the centralized, automated model of online retailing provided by the Ocado Smart Platform.
Come join us as we build our North American team, bringing world-class innovation and technologies to one of the most exciting global markets for e-commerce.
What You Will Do
The Mechanical Installation Engineer takes engineering ownership of released products from our development team. They carry out applications and configuration engineering of those products for our new build Fulfillment Centers around the world. They maintain in depth product knowledge and directly support other teams (Total Design Integration (TDI), Manufacturing Supply Chain (MSC) & Implementation) during the design, manufacture and install phases of new Fulfillment Centers. They provide ongoing product support to Engineering Operations to resolve any engineering issues as well as providing valuable feedback to the development team for future developments.
Day-to-day responsibilities could include:
- Carry out the configuration and application engineering detail to TDI & MSC in conjunction with the Project Realization Engineer & Planners
- Support the Automation Engineering Implementation Team with on-site product support, installation expertise, ensuring best practice is followed and understood and product engineering challenges are resolved
- Ensure Production Engineering within Product Development have everything necessary to identify solutions through the Change Control Process
- Identify, and manage the resolution of engineering change requests and product improvements, taking full accountability and responsibility for changes on released products and being a key stakeholder for unreleased products, while working closely with Technical Support colleagues
- Review, maintain and communicate related product technical documentation (including but limited to Manuals, BoM’s, install guides, PDI & SAT checklists)
- Provide engineering product support, especially during design, installation & commissioning phases
- Proactively support engineering supply chain with engineering detail, including acceptance testing, and order specification
- Work closely with our Product Development colleagues to receive new products and developments, remain actively engaged during development and NPI phases to ensure successful handover of product to the Central Automation Engineering Team
- Work to and follow all CDM guidance, both external (CDM Regulations 2015 and associated Guidance L153) and internal (the Ocado CDM15 procedures and processes, HS&E policy and associated Arrangement Policies) when working in the UK, following equivalent regulations and standards when working in North America, seeking guidance from the HS&E (Health, Safety and Executive) team where there is uncertainty
- Ensure product and process quality is maintained
- Ensure system integrity by collaborating with product engineers from other streams to ensure that any changes or issues in one area do not negatively impact another product or overall system
Who You Are
To qualify for this position, you should meet the following requirements:
- Minimum 5 years of experience in mechanical installation
- Engineering or related Technical degree
- Demonstrable experience and success in Project Engineering
- Field Installation of products and/or systems
- Acceptance Testing
- Ability to deliver projects on time and within approved budgets.
- IT literate, proficient with Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite and comfortable using CAD packages.
- Excellent technical and practical competence relating to automation and general engineering
- Experience with projects and products in manufacturing, automotive, airports, FMCG distribution or similar field
- Comfortable with debating details (both technical and commercial) with both internal and external stakeholders
- Commercially aware and understands cost impacts on decisions and proposals
- Works in a safe manner at all times and appreciate the implications and requirements of relevant product safety and compliance
- Appreciation of applicable directives, codes standards etc (eg machinery directive)
Preferred (in addition to minimum):
- Project management skills, tools and approaches
- Remote product support
- International working experience
This position is located in Tysons Corner, VA and will require 60% travel across North America
For a sense of who we are and what we deliver we invite you to explore online to learn more about Ocado Technology and Ocado Engineering, which directly support the Ocado Solutions division, and take the next step in what will be an amazing career with us.
Learn about our partnership with Kroger:
- Kroger Bets on Robots With Ocado Deal
- Meet Ocado, Kroger’s Newest Weapon in Its Grocery Delivery War with Amazon and Walmart
- Check out this video about our advanced robotics technology
Ocado is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other classification as required by applicable law.