The patient Safety Assistant provides patient care services under the clinical supervision of the Unit Manager in order to provide quality direct care in the inpatient setting. Works as a valued member of the professional team to ensure patient and unit safety through observation duties.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES/DUTIES/CRITICAL TASKS
Constantly aware of the safety needs of patients, employees and visitors.
Communicates effectively with patients, families, visitors and other members of the health care team.
Demonstrates professional behavior.
Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality of information and records at all times.
Assists with patient restraints and patient specific safety precautions.
Provides and maintains a clean, safe environment.
Required to maintain competency in the patient safety functions related to their position.
Completion of Annual Mandatory Training, TB testing, and FIT testing.
Accountable for the identification and reduction of unsafe practices that could cause harm to patients.
Other duties, as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of a recognized Nurse Assistant program -OR-
- Completion of Medical Corpsman program -OR-
- Completion of EMT program -OR-
- One year of experience in a health care setting
REQUIRED LICENSES/ CERTIFICATION
- Must maintain current AHA Heart Saver CPR certification.
- Must maintain current SAMA certification
- Required to maintain competency in the patient safety functions related to their position and unit.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Tyler is committed to encouraging good health. As part of its efforts to achieve these goals of a tobacco-free hiring process, if you are offered a position at The University, you will be subject to a Pre-Employment Drug Screen for tobacco compounds in compliance with applicable state laws.