Sr. SW Engineer (Full stack), Amazon Core DeviceOS
Amazon Devices is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics and partner experiences. Amazon Devices began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
Key job responsibilities
Amazon Devices is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics and partner experiences. The Devices org began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo.
What will you help us create?
Using a combination of open source and proprietary technologies, we build cutting-edge devices for multimedia consumption, whether mobile or in the home for our customers (major 3P apps and content providers). As a strong customer advocate, you will help own full stack (including multimedia) and quality end to end (E2E). You will work with internal and external partners to deliver the best in class devices, and will research new technologies, develop new tools and help define processes to build the media stack of next generation devices.
We are looking for a talented, detail-oriented and enthusiastic Software Development Engineers who are passionate about quality and are enthusiastic about new digital products. The person chosen for this position will have the opportunity to contribute their creative ideas and energy to our group. Duties include research, design, implementation, documentation, and maintenance of new and existing systems and the creation of software services and tools to drive the software development process towards higher quality. As a Software Engineer, you will take part in the implementation and customization of software, working closely with application teams to delivering the multimedia core engine. You will be working on cutting edge technologies in the market today. The development will be from the concept stage to the launch stage and ensuring the highest level of quality for your deliverables.
You will have an enormous opportunity to make a large impact on the design, architecture, and implementation of cutting edge products used every day, by people you know. In this role, you will:
- Build large-scale distributed software systems in C/C++, ReactJS and other languages
- Develop software at every level of the stack from app developer facing APIs to low-level embedded software (including vendor interactions)
- Lead the architecture of new services and features that will be deployed and used at massive scale
- Identify, evaluate and suggest mitigation strategies for risks during design
- Be responsible for full stack system architecture and development for new multimedia initiatives and feature development
- Establish architectural principles, select design patterns and then mentor team members on their appropriate applications
A day in the life
* Understand, strategize and deliver to a multi year roadmap for our major partner and content providers. This means delivering to the long term architecture per program milestones
* POCs leading to product offerings
* Hands on coding, code reviews
* Doc writing (arch) and alignment across different teams
* Implementing scalable solutions
* Bug fixing and delivering to our customers
About the team
Amazon Common Software (ACS) for Devices is software that makes it faster for you to integrate Amazon Device SDKs on your devices. ACS provides a unified API integration layer, pre-validated and memory efficient components for common functions such as connectivity, a device porting kit (DPK), and multi-tier test suites. Learn more about us at : https://developer.amazon.com/acs-devices
We are new team of experienced engineers as well as new joinees with a startup mentality within Amazon. We will be leading innovation with various frameworks for multi-year commitments to our partners and customers. If you thrive in such a culture, come apply to these roles.
- 4+ years of professional software development experience
- 3+ years of programming experience with at least one software programming language
- 2+ years of experience contributing to the system design or architecture (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience as a mentor, tech lead OR leading an engineering team
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field
- 7+ years’ professional experience in software development
- Master's degree in Computer Science
- Proficiency in one or more following languages: C++, JavaRuby, Python with scripting knowledge in either Perl, shell scripting, Bash or other.
- Experience architecting Linux enabled embedded multimedia products
- Experience architecting embedded multimedia consumption features and integrating multimedia functionality into consumer electronics devices
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software systems that have been successfully delivered
- Experience in driving a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience interfacing with vendors, partners and outside contacts
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Demonstrated ability to mentor other software developers to maintain architectural vision and software quality
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts
- Experience with multimedia framework. build system, DRM and optimizations for multimedia framework.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.