The Facilities department at the University of Tennessee Space Institute in Tullahoma, Tennessee is seeking qualified candidates for a Facilities Services Buildings and Grounds Assistant 1 position. This is a regular, full-time position with excellent benefits. Salary dependent upon education and experience.
Duties to include painting, landscaping, grounds, manual labor, and assisting skilled certified technicians with electrical, plumbing, and HVAC systems.
The UTSI campus covers 365 acres, and although most is untended woodlands, a significant portion of the campus requires maintenance on a year-round basis.
- Grounds maintenance responsibilities include, but are not limited to: landscaping, mowing, bush hogging, weed-eating, trimming and edging sidewalks and curbs, light excavation, tree trimming and cutting, leaf removal and picking up trash from all campus grounds and roadways.
- Grounds equipment responsibilities include: checking and changing engine oils, tire repairs, sharpening the blades on saws, mowers and bush hog.
- Maintain ornamental gardens; change out mulch, plant trees, shrubs and other vegetation.
- Use of pesticides and herbicides.
- Clearing boat dock water and shore line of vegetative growth
- Salting roadways and sidewalks during freezing conditions
- Patching and painting drywall and block walls
- Dismantling and moving office furniture.
- Assisting skilled tradesman and general labor tasks
- Performs other related duties as required.
Minimum/Required Qualifications (include education, experience, skills & abilities, licenses & certifications):
High school education or GED preferred. Must be able to follow written and oral instructions. Must be 18 or older and have the ability to pass a background check. Must have a valid driver’s license and dependable transportation. Must be reliable in attendance, clean and neat in appearance.
Candidate must be able to safely operate and maintain heavy equipment, i.e. tractors, mowers, forklift, aerial lift, drills, saws, etc. Must be able to lift heavy objects and perform repeated bending, standing, and reaching. Must be able to lift up to 75 pounds. Must be able to work independently as well as with others and be a team player. Must be able to follow directions and have the ability to take safety and maintenance courses related to the position.
Prior maintenance experience and training desired. Certifications in the maintenance related fields will be taken into consideration.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applicants must apply online through the UTSI Employment website (https://www.utsi.edu/utsi-employment/). Click on “External Applicants” in the left-hand column. Specify search criteria by entering Tullahoma in the Location box. Click on position to view job description and/or apply. External candidates must create a new account to apply.
The University of Tennessee Space Institute is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment and admission without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, and parental status.