Title Materials Handler, Lead (Park Student Unions)(Academic Schedule) Department Park Student Union (8003) Location Main Campus Position Summary
The AZ Student Unions is seeking a full-time (academic schedule) Materials Handler, Lead to join our team. This position is located at the Park Student Unions and performs manual and clerical duties related to shipping, receiving, inspecting, storing, issuing and delivering a variety of materials, equipment and supplies. Incumbents may handle high-dollar cost and fragile equipment or supplies and hazardous materials, such as chemicals or gases, when necessary. Will be required to occasionally move/transport heavy objects.
This is an academic year position. The current academic year is August 19, 2019 through May 24, 2020. Employee will be off for the summer months.
The Arizona Student Unions consist of both the Student Union Memorial Center (SUMC) and the Park Student Union, as well as Highland Market and a number of convenience stores and food stops around campus. In addition to campus dining services and catering, the Arizona Student Unions also run mall scheduling, concessions at athletic events, Fast Copy & Design, Games Room, the Gallagher Theatre, and a Post Office Contract Unit.
The Student Union Memorial Center is one of the largest student unions in the United States. The SUMC contains everything students need – restaurants, retail spaces, a bank, lounges, study/meeting rooms, a computer lab, and a movie theater. SUMC is often referred to as the “living room“ of the University. With Student Engagement, dining services, retail services and more, we strive to provide a “home away from home“ to balance the diverse educational, recreational, cultural and social needs of today's student.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Orders, receives and checks in goods: checking quality of products received, informing buyer of mistakes and shortages, dates all products
- Alerts Supervisor and cooks on any shortages so that adjustments can be made to menu and confers with Supervisor on what action is to be taken to correct problem
- Greets and serves customers in a friendly courteous manner
- Works harmoniously with coworkers
- Takes daily inventory of all areas within the Park Student Unions. Communicates with supervisors, leads and cooks of any product that have not been ordered on a two week period or is within 2 weeks of expiration.
- Ensures proper rotation of products, dates all product and alerts supervisor if product is not being used in the proper order
- Opens and closes receiving area
- Keeps a log of every invoice sent to union during the week. Keeps copy of log for reference
- Cleans dock and receiving area
- Serves as the liaison between receiving and all other departments
- Frequently reaches, moves/transports, shakes, stirs, pours, carries and pushes
- Often withstands large workload under high heat
- Occasionally move/transport a minimum of 75 pounds including heavy packages and objects
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledge of automated or computerized system operation
- Knowledge of inventory practices
- Knowledge of record keeping practices
- Knowledge of safety practices
- Skill in operating materials handling equipment
- Able to communicate effectively
- Must be able to move/transport a minimum of 70 pounds
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Two years of shipping/receiving experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education
Some positions may require possession of a current Arizona Type D driver's license upon employment.
State certification in forklift operation.
Preferred Qualifications Full Time/Part Time Full Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 40 Job Category General Benefits Eligible Yes - Full Benefits FLSA Non-Exempt Posted Rate of Pay $12.40-$13.00 hourly (DOE) Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S28099 Number of Vacancies One Desired Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Limited to Current UA Employees No Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date 11/07/2019 Review Start Date 11/14/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant Quick Link for Internal Postings Diversity Statement
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
• Where did you first learn about this position?
- Arizona Daily Star
- Arizona Republic
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Department of Economic Security (DES)
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
- Local Job Banks
- Pima County One-Stop
- Professional Conference
- Professional journal/publication
- Referred by UA Employee
- Invited by Dept to Apply
- UA Website
• This position will require moving/transporting of boxes and equipment throughout the regular workday. Are you able to move/transport up to 70 pounds?
• Do you have two years of shipping/receiving experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter