Title Machinist (Part-Time/Temporary) Department Aerospace & Mechanical Engr (2305) Location Main Campus Position Summary
The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering Department at The University of Arizona is seeking an experienced machinist to work part-time afternoons, evenings, and occasional Saturdays in the Department's Instrumentation Laboratory.
The safety of employees and customers is imperative to daily operation of the shop and the successful candidate must have some safety training; formal training through OSHA, MSHA, or other governmental agency is preferred. This position requires significant customer contact (students) in the completion of daily assignments, therefore good interpersonal skills are essential. The shop sees a considerable amount of walk-in traffic, so the successful candidate will need to work well in an environment where interruptions are common place.
This position begins 01/06/2020 and ends 05/08/2020.
The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering department supports Inclusive Excellence, the UA's diversity and inclusiveness strategic initiative is designed to create an inclusive environment for all faculty, staff, and students. The successful candidate is expected to support the diversity and inclusiveness efforts of the College and Department.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, vision, life insurance and disability programs; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Analyze drawings for dimensional and tolerance discrepancies and recommend solutions to the customer.
- Suggest alternate materials and/or manufacturing approaches for customer hardware.
- Work with customers (undergraduate students) in a fast paced environment to assist with fabricating components and assemblies used for research and test.
- Work safely and monitor the activities of others (students) to prevent shop injuries/accidents.
- Utilize Mastercam to generate G-code for 2D and 3D surfaces, prepare tool sheets, and work instructions.
- Set up and operate a Haas 3 Axis CNC milling machine including fixturing, tool setting, and maintenance.
- Process various materials (metals, plastics, composites, wood) using traditional metalworking machinery (lathes, milling machines, drill press, bandsaw, grinder) as well as woodworking equipment (table saw, router, etc.) to produce instrumentation and test hardware.
- Set up and perform vertical milling machines operations such as side cut, end milling, boring, fly cutting, hole drilling, tapping, and slotting.
- Set up and perform manual lathe operations such as turning, boring, threading (both external and internal), parting, tapping, and facing.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Minimum Qualifications
- Must be able to hold machining tolerances up to 0.001“ for components fabricated in the manual shop utilizing lathes and milling machines.
- Must be able to use measurement tools such as calipers, micrometers, plug gauges, height gauges, and surface tables to verify machined component dimensions.
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Six years of machinist experience; OR, completion of a four year machinist training program; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
Preferred Qualifications Full Time/Part Time Part Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 20 Job Category Trades and Maintenance Benefits Eligible Yes - Limited Benefits FLSA Non-Exempt Posted Rate of Pay $14.16 - $18.00 Per Hour (DOE) Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S28089 Number of Vacancies One Desired Start Date 01/06/2020 Position End Date (if temporary) 05/08/2020 Limited to Current UA Employees No Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date 11/08/2019 Review Start Date 11/15/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant Quick Link for Internal Postings Diversity Statement
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
• Where did you first learn about this position?
- Arizona Daily Star
- Arizona Republic
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Department of Economic Security (DES)
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
- Local Job Banks
- Pima County One-Stop
- Professional Conference
- Professional journal/publication
- Referred by UA Employee
- Invited by Dept to Apply
- UA Website
• Do you have six years of machinist experience; OR, completion of a four year machinist training program; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter