Title Graphic Designer Department Social & Behavioral Sci Admin (0443) Location Main Campus Position Summary
The College of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) is seeking applications for a full-time Graphic Designer to produce innovative, creative, and impactful graphic design work for the college and its units. This position is part of a highly-skilled, fast moving Marketing & Communications team that is run similar to an advertising agency. This position will work closely with the SBS Dean's office to provide graphic design support for SBS events, community programming, and student outreach, as well as providing design services to our academic departments and research centers.
SBS offers more degrees than any other college and accounts for over 20 percent of the UA student body. From artificial intelligence and environmental science to history and literature, the college's diverse faculty span science and technology, the social sciences, and the humanities. SBS is branded under the label, “The People College“, which expresses the centrality of people to our research, teaching and outreach missions. Our Community Engagement program is extensive, including many local programs as well as projects in Sonora and the greater Southwest. Faculty undertake research across the globe; among all of UA's colleges, SBS has the largest number of faculty working internationally.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Creates and designs marketing materials, including brochures, reports, invitations, flyers, advertisements, presentation materials, templates, and digital assets.
- Creates social media graphics for Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Collaborates with creative team, including writers and web developers, as well as with clients and colleagues within the University, to successfully complete projects.
- Participates in strategy, creative planning, concepting, and visual direction for marketing and communications projects.
- Illustrates early stage creative concepts through sketches, prototypes and inspiration materials to ensure clients understand project direction.
- Requests quotes for jobs assigned to outside vendors; coordinates production of material with outside vendors by monitoring jobs in progress, resolving technical problems, prooﬁng material and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Performs edits on existing layouts for multiple drafts.
- Updates project management software to ensure that assignments are completed accurately and on time.
- Maintains department files of completed assignments.
- Assist with photography, video recordings, and other multimedia projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Working knowledge of current design trends and best practices.
- Knowledge of artistic and technical photography standards, ability to manipulate raw files and optimize for print or digital placement.
- Ability to think creatively and work through challenges to implement ideas.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
- Proﬁciency with Adobe Creative Cloud programs, including Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
- Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to deliver projects on time and within specifications.
- Print production knowledge and capabilities
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Associate's degree in Graphic Design or related field AND two years of experience in graphic design; OR, four years of experience in graphic design; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Bachelor's degree in graphic design, fine arts, or other related discipline.
- Demonstrated skills in illustrating.
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Experience with photography and use of DSLR cameras.
- Knowledge of UA brand guidelines.
Full Time/Part Time Full Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 40 Job Category Administrative and Professional Benefits Eligible Yes - Full Benefits FLSA Non-Exempt Posted Rate of Pay $19.08 Per Hour Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S28045 Number of Vacancies One Desired Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Limited to Current UA Employees No Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date 11/06/2019 Review Start Date 11/20/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant
Please provide a portfolio representative of your work. You can attach a PDF file of your portfolio or submit a PDF with a link to the website where your portfolio is located.
Quick Link for Internal Postings Diversity Statement
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
• Where did you first learn about this position?
- Arizona Daily Star
- Arizona Republic
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Department of Economic Security (DES)
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
- Local Job Banks
- Pima County One-Stop
- Professional Conference
- Professional journal/publication
- Referred by UA Employee
- Invited by Dept to Apply
- UA Website
• Do you have an Associate's degree in Graphic Design or related field AND two years of experience in graphic design; OR, four years of experience in graphic design; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Art Portfolio