Title General Maintenance Mechanic (UPDATED) Department Student Union-Operations (8002) Location Main Campus Position Summary
Note: This is a reposting with new open and close/review dates. If you previously applied for this position your application is under consideration and it is not necessary to reapply. The posted rate of pay has been updated to $17.89. As a result the new review date is 11.13.2019.
The AZ Student Unions is seeking a full time General Maintenance Mechanic to join our Operations team. This position is responsible for repairing and maintaining machinery, plumbing, physical structures and electrical wiring and fixtures.
The Arizona Student Unions consist of both the Student Union Memorial Center (SUMC) and the Park Student Union, as well as Highland Market and a number of convenience stores and food stops around campus. In addition to campus dining services and catering, the Arizona Student Unions also run mall scheduling, concessions at athletic events, Fast Copy & Design, the Union Galleries, Games Room, the Gallagher Theatre, and a Post Office Contract Unit.
The Student Union Memorial Center is one of the largest student unions in the United States. The SUMC contains everything students need – restaurants, retail spaces, a bank, lounges, study/meeting rooms, a computer lab, art gallery, and a movie theater. SUMC is often referred to as the “living room“ of the University. With Student Engagement, dining services, retail services and more, we strive to provide a “home away from home“ to balance the diverse educational, recreational, cultural and social needs of today's student.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state retirement plan; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here.
The University of Arizona is in the process of creating a new classification and compensation architecture. This University Career Architecture Project (UCAP) will revolutionize the way we think about professions and manage compensation at the UA. It is a two year initiative that will replace the current classified staff and appointed professional categories of employment with market-based job functions and families. As an applicant, UCAP will create clearer career paths and opportunities and will help you make more informed pay decisions. To learn more about this project, please visit ucap.arizona.edu.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs basic plumbing, electrical, and carpentry maintenance and repairs such as replacing switches, rewiring appliances, construction partitions and small out buildings, installing plumbing pipe and related plumbing fixtures
- Performs general painting, electrical, and carpentry repairs
- Operates dollies and other basic loading and unloading equipment as needed
- Repairs and installs commercial kitchen equipment
- Alternates ON-CALL shifts to provide 24 hour service; employees may be required to work more than eight hours in a day, and may work evenings, weekends, and/or holidays
- Schedules/adjusts computer for air handler control
- Follows preventative maintenance program for various machinery and equipment
- Services equipment such as exhaust fans and pumps
- Regularly treats sewer and drain lines
- Prepares and coordinates jobs and estimates
- Contacts outside service companies for service
- Drives trucks to transport materials such as furniture, supplies, parts or equipment as needed
- Provides technical direction to student workers
- Assist shop personnel as needed
- Able to occasionally lift up to 75 pounds
- Other duties assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Skill in applying building and equipment maintenance/repair technique
- Ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy.
- Experience with building and equipment maintenance/repair techniques
- Experience in plumbing in a commercial setting
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 75 pounds
Arizona Board of Regents Minimum Qualifications
Four years of general maintenance and repair experience; OR, any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education. Some positions in this classification may be required to obtain a current Arizona Type D driver's license upon employment. Some positions in this classification may be required to obtain an Environmental Protection Agency Type 1 refrigeration license upon employment.
Preferred Qualifications Full Time/Part Time Full Time Number of Hours Worked per Week 40 Job Category Trades and Maintenance Benefits Eligible Yes - Full Benefits FLSA Non-Exempt Posted Rate of Pay $17.89 Per Hour Type of criminal background check required: Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number S27551 Number of Vacancies One Desired Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Limited to Current UA Employees No Contact Information for Candidates
Open Date 07/28/2019 Review Start Date 11/13/2019 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicant Quick Link for Internal Postings Diversity Statement
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. We translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we encourage diverse candidates to apply, including people of color, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
• Where did you first learn about this position?
- Arizona Daily Star
- Arizona Republic
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Department of Economic Security (DES)
- Diverse Issues in Higher Education
- Hispanic Outlook in Higher Education
- Local Job Banks
- Pima County One-Stop
- Professional Conference
- Professional journal/publication
- Referred by UA Employee
- Invited by Dept to Apply
- UA Website
• Do you have four years of general maintenance and repair experience, or any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education?
• Will you possess a valid driver's license upon employment?
• This position may require lifting of boxes and equipment throughout the regular workday. Are you able to lift and carry up to 75 pounds?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter