Coursera was founded by two computer science professors at Stanford with a vision of providing life-transforming learning experiences to anyone, anywhere. It is the world’s largest online learning platform for higher education. 190 of the world's top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, and degrees that empower over 43 million learners around the world to achieve their career goals. 2,000 companies trust our enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera is backed by investors that include Kleiner Perkins, New Enterprise Associates, GSV Capital, Learn Capital, and SEEK Group.
Coursera is a Silicon Valley based company and we’re opening our second engineering office in Toronto March 2019. We’re hiring a Staff Back-End Engineer to join our new Toronto team. This will be a unique opportunity to help bootstrap our new office and work on impactful projects for our fastest growing business line. Coursera is an equal opportunity employer. Coursera will provide, upon request, accommodation to the materials and processes used in the recruitment process in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Integrated Accessibility Standards Regulation.
The Employer Experience team works on the enterprise product which is used by companies and governments around the world who need to train and up-skill their workforce. The team is responsible for building the entire infrastructure for our enterprise business. This includes, but is not limited to, contract management, tools for user management, dashboards to demonstrate the value of Coursera, reporting, and various API integrations that our clients need to integrate with us.
Check out life at Coursera on The Muse!
- Design and implement scalable systems and infrastructures
- Measure your work thoroughly, analyze results, and generate hypotheses to drive new product changes through A/B testing
- Setup monitoring and testing of your APIs and services to better understand real time health of your products
- Bachelor's in computer science or equivalent experience
- 6+ years of experience working in a relevant software engineering role
- Expertise in designing highly-scalable and performant micro-services and storage layers using common frameworks, languages, and infrastructure (e.g. Java, Play/Scala, MySql, Cassandra, Solr, Kafka)
- Comfortable working in a fast-moving team environment (we deploy many times a day!)
- Data-driven and strongly motivated by success and learnings through experiments and metrics analysis
If this opportunity interests you, you might like these courses on Coursera:
- Functional Programming in Scala Specialization
- Microservices - Fundamentals
Coursera provides equal employment and affirmative action opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability.