The Assistant Store Manager is the second person in charge of the store and is responsible for the successful operation and profitability of the store which includes training, directing and monitoring all department staff.
Key Responsibilities include the following essential functions, but are not limited to:
- Customers are greeted and serviced per company standards of World Class customer service.
- All company managers are expected to be professional and provide appropriate leadership for the staff.
- Customer complaints are handled appropriately and per company policy.
- The store is inviting and shopable.
- Products customers want to buy are in-stock.
- Special orders are handled appropriately and per company policy.
- Ensures the phone is answered per company standards and is on the sales floor assisting customers, directing staff and attending to all departments at least 75% of the time..
- Training staff on how to give exemplary customer service and ensuring staff is held accountable.
- Ensuring staff is in compliance with applicable state and/or county food safety certifications and registration.
- The Assistant Store Manager is responsible for ensuring that the store is meeting and/or exceeding expectations in the following areas:
- Store and department sales and Sales per Labor Hour Ratio
- Average Ticket, Customer Count, Cost of Goods Sold for Produce
- Ensures product is ordered from the correct vendors in order to receive the correct discount and maintain margins.
- Ensures in-stock conditions meet company standards
- Product mix is monitored, including:
- regular analysis of departments to keep top sellers and discontinue extremely slow movers;
- new products are brought in per company policy.
- Ensures perishables are rotated and stocked per company standards.
- Mark-downs are managed per company standards.
- Responsible for assisting the Store Manager in hiring, training and managing all store personnel per company standards.
- Trains store personnel, assigns tasks, and is accountable in accomplishing tasks.
- Ensures master and daily schedules are accurate, complete and meet store needs. Schedules are posted in a timely manner and tasks are assigned on a daily basis using company tasks sheets.
- Partners with department managers to share staff to accomplish tasks as needed on a daily basis.
- Trains and monitors staff to ensure store is viewed as a whole, assisting customers in all areas.
- Partners with department managers to cross-train staff to accomplish all needed tasks.
- Partners with staff to ensure adequate product knowledge to meet customers' needs, training staff on where to find answers to customer questions by utilizing store resources.
- Assists the Store Manager in completing and conducting all store staff performance evaluations with input from the department managers. Assists in granting wage increases when appropriate.
- Interviews and hires for store needs with input from department managers.
- Addresses all performance and/or disciplinary issues appropriately and in a timely manner with the assistance of Human Resources.
- Maintains clear and direct communication with store staff which includes helping conduct monthly staff meetings and posting company information and announcements.
- Responsible for ensuring safety guidelines are followed at all times.
- Ensures that all Unitime edits are made in a timely manner.
- Responsible for assisting the Store Manager in training, coaching and developing store personnel.
- He/she encourages staff to increase their nutritional and product knowledge.
- He/she answers (and ensures store staff answers) customer questions per company standards and policies, including the use of Structure/Function statements and/or statements of nutritional support..
- Successfully completes operational responsibilities (daily schedules, checklists, opening and closing).
- Ensures store paperwork/reports are completed in a timely manner (including Monthly Mgr's Report).
- Efficiently and accurately completes the DSR and Manager's Cash.
- Responds to all Dept. Manager calls when on duty and assists with coverage for lunches and breaks.
- Works a schedule based on store needs including evenings, weekends and scheduled for 45 hours per week.
- Coaches staff on how to be supportive of decisions made by home office, listens to directions from home office, following through and correctly performing the job assigned.
- Reads and follows communications (memos, faxes, emails) from home office.
- Remains flexible to changing work demands in order to accomplish goals.
- Managers are expected to be leaders in the workplace, setting the standard of excellence required through their job performance and professional demeanor.
Although this is a general outline of job responsibilities all employees are expected to be ''hands on'' and do whatever it takes to get the job done and make the company thrive.
Education, Skills and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required 1-2 years management experience in grocery and/or related retail experience, natural foods industry a plus.
- Able to manage changing priorities.
- Ability to pass applicable food safety training courses and/or testing to obtain certifications as required by state and/or county law.
- Maintain compliance by keeping food safety certifications up to date through continuing education and registered with the appropriate agency if applicable.
- Possesses a sense of urgency in the completing tasks and is highly organized.
- Possesses excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to take direction and follow through.
- Must be cashier trained.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and Outlook required
This job description is not an employment contract. It does not guarantee a job or that the above listed duties are the limit of responsibilities. The job and job description are subject to change with and without notice. Employees are required to accomplish any and all tasks assigned to him/her by their Store Manager and/or other corporate managers that may not be listed in this job description.