Set up, conduct studies, and contribute to research projects following established protocols, including the appropriate recording of data and reporting of standard or variant results. Responsible for ordering of supplies and equipment and overall laboratory functionality. Assist in other laboratory and research supervision of junior staff as needed.
The Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics (MPB) is a basic science department in the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. The department has been consistently ranked in the top three physiology departments in the nation based on funding from the National Institutes of Health, as well NRC ranking of related graduate programs. Faculty in the department use diverse cutting edge techniques to address important research questions that span the spectrum of biomedical sciences
Duties and Responsibilities
- Independently oversee research projects and perform nearly total independent research.
- Establish highly complex protocols, define data collection, evaluation and analysis procedures
- Supervise scientific data collection and analyses for research projects requiring independent interpretation of complex research data
- Record, compile, interpret, and communicate data/results.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment to develop methods and procedures for operation of complex scientific equipment
- Contribute to research so as to merit serving as author or co-author on research publications
- Assist the Principal investigator in writing research grants, manuscripts and contract proposals
- Present research findings as needed
- Responsible for plan and coordination of literature and library searches and data collection progress
- Develop report of results, graphs, charts, tables, etc. of research findings
- Assist with supervision of writing, reviewing, and editing of various materials for publication
- Provide supervision to junior staff to include undergraduates, graduate students, post doc, research assistants, etc.
- Mentor, train, and provide technical guidance to other members of the lab as needed.
- Monitor budgetary expenditures, oversee ordering of supplies for lab. Make recommendations regarding supplies, equipment purchases for laboratory.
- Follow University safety protocols (may include use of combustibles, biohazardous materials, and/or carcinogens)
- Bachelors in Biology or related field necessary
- PhD Preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community is strongly preferred
- General lab experience is preferred
- Knowledge of, and experience with, histological procedures, mouse colony management, immunohistochemistry, sterile techniques, microscopy, digital imaging, or computer maintenance is preferre
Commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
At Vanderbilt University, we are intentional about and assume accountability for fostering advancement and respect for equity, diversity, and inclusion for all students, faculty, and staff. Our commitment to diversity makes us who we are. We have created a community that celebrates differences and lets individuality thrive. As part of this commitment, we actively value diversity in our workplace and learning environments as we seek to take advantage of the rich backgrounds and abilities of everyone. The diverse voices of Vanderbilt represent an invaluable resource for the University in its efforts to fulfill its mission and strive to be an example of excellence in higher education.
Vanderbilt University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, people with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.