We are seeking an experienced Registered Nurse for a locked psychiatric inpatient unit(s) at Taunton State Hospital. The Registered Nurse provides primary nursing care, assess the health care needs of the patients and assures their needs are met. All patient interactions are to be person centered utilizing a person first approach with safety of all being the number one priority while acknowledging the dignity of risk.
Please Note: This position is 40 hour per week. The incumbent will work on the 2nd shift 2:45 pm â 11:15 pm. Days off will be - Week 1 Sun/Thurs; Week 2 Mon/Sat.
Duties and Responsibilities (these are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Provides direct professional nursing care to assigned patients on the locked units utilizing a patient centered approach to assist the patient in meeting their goals and needs.
- Assigns daily nursing care utilizing the patient acuity assessment sheet, assures that all clients are assessed on a daily basis.
- Transcribes, administers and/or supervises administration of medication in accordance with standard practices and protocols.
- Participates in the admission process, documents and completes all nursing assessments and other necessary components/data within the medical chart, oversees discharge planning and transfers for clients by coordinating through the nursing supervisor. .
- Establishes and maintains a current nursing care plan utilizing a Person Centered Approach within the Recovery Model of healthcare delivery and completes written assessment of nursing needs..
- Maintains accurate records related to activities, meetings, groups, treatment plan schedules and all nursing assignments.
- Monitors and reviews patientâs records on an ongoing basis for completeness and accuracy.
- Current and valid licensure under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing
- Ability to read, write speak, and comprehend English to communicate effectively with a diverse group of patients, employees, and supervisors.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and communicate effectively in oral expression
- Applicants must have at least (A) one year of full-time or equivalent part-time, experience as a registered nurse in a recognized hospital, clinic or medical facility.
- Trained on de-escalation and nonviolent crisis intervention procedures
- Given the population served, bilingual or multilingual fluency
About Taunton State Hospital
Taunton State Hospital (TSH) operated by the Department of Mental Health (DMH) is a 45-bed inpatient facility that provides continuing care inpatient services to adults with major mental illnesses. The hospital is a leader in the successful integration of the Principles of Recovery and a rehabilitation philosophy into the treatment model and a part of the Southeast Area which works closely with the inpatient treatment teams to facilitate patientsâ discharge back to the community.
As an employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts you are offered a great career opportunity influencing a wide-spectrum of services to the diverse populations we serve - but it's more than a paycheck. The State's total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits which you should consider towards your overall compensation, including:
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees' Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
- 11 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
- Tuition benefit for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
- Short-Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
- Incentive-based Wellness Programs
- Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
A criminal background check will be completed on the recommended candidate as required by the regulations set forth by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services prior to the candidate being hired. For more information, please visit http://www.mass.gov/hhs/cori.
Education, licensure and certifications will be verified in accordance with the Human Resources Divisionâs Hiring Guidelines.
Education and license/certification information provided by the selected candidate(s) is subject to the Massachusetts Public Records Law and may be published on the Commonwealthâs website.
For questions regarding this requisition, please contact Executive Office of Health and Human Services Human Resources at (508) 977-3383
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) one year of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience as a registered nurse in a recognized hospital, clinic or medical facility, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions below.
I. A Graduate degree with a major in Nursing may be substituted for the required experience .*
*Education toward such a degree will be prorated on the basis of the proportion of the requirements actually completed.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL LEVELS IN SERIES: Current and valid registration as a professional nurse under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing.
*Recent graduates from an approved school of nursing must have applied for the first available registered nurse examination.
Based on assignment, possession of a current and valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator's license may be required.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.