Requisition Number: HRGEN01667
Position Overview:The HR Generalist is a key member of Gopher Resource’s Tampa plant, supporting all people aspects of our business in partnership with the Plant HR Manager and leadership team. This position gives counsel to plant leadership and employees on people-related matters and supports plant people processes that ultimately improve plant operational performance, optimize safety outcomes, and improve employee engagement and retention. This position reports to the Plant HR Manager.
Critical Success Criteria:
- This role is responsible for partnering with site leaders to support organizational capabilities around performance and talent management that ultimately results in improvements to plant operational performance, better safety outcomes, improved levels of employee engagement and increased employee retention.
- Included within this broad category, the incumbent will implement formal training as selected by the company.
- Provide in-person collaboration and coaching for leaders on providing performance feedback and driving accountability within the plant.
- Facilitate employee communication and employee engagement activities.
- Ensuring proper plant staffing and effective employee onboarding
- Managing employee staffing levels, scheduling, vacation bidding and the shift bidding processes
- Increasing new hire retention through communication between new hires, trainers and supervisors during the probationary period
- Managing COVID exposure and return to work, in partnership with S&OH, by conducting employee assessments, maintaining close contact with employees, communicating with operations and payroll, and determining clearance to return to work
- Champion and foster company vision, values and culture by ensuring individual/team actions and behaviors are in alignment.
- Conduct and document thorough internal investigations of employee relations concerns, safety incidents, performance issues, and policy violations, and provide guidance to leadership on appropriate discipline or other recommended action items
- Provide consultative support to plant leadership and employees on company policy and union contract interpretation, and employment and labor law considerations to ensure policies and disciplinary actions are administered fairly and consistently
- Process all employee terminations: Hold discharge conversations, ensure adequate documentation and communication, conduct exit interviews, issue termination letters, complete unemployment claim paperwork, and attend unemployment hearings on behalf of the company as needed
- Accountable for ensuring the execution of new hire onboarding and performance during probationary period
- Ensure that role definition and recruitment selection criteria for all union and non-union positions are in alignment with talent management objectives and organizational values; interviews, evaluates and makes offer decisions as necessary
- Ensure legal compliance with all applicable local state and federal employment laws, including but not limited to FLSA, FMLA and ADA, and AA to minimize risk/exposure to the company
- Maintains open and proactive communication with employees to staying abreast of current trends and anticipate impending employee concerns or needs.
- Participates in employee recognition initiatives and events.
- Ensures employee records are accurate and up to date in the HRIS system and Laserfiche
- Responds to government requests for unemployment information and hearings
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Psychology, Business, or related field from accredited College or University
- 3+ years of field experience in human resources
- 2+ years labor relations experience
- Knowledge of employment and labor law
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence, challenge and persuade
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Must be a team player, but can also work well with minimal supervision
- Must be self-directed, flexible and able to prioritize work
- High integrity and ethical standards
- Ability to handle highly sensitive information while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to form productive professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders, including employees at all levels of the organization
- Proven analytical capability and problem solving skills
- Masters Degree in Industrial Relations and Labor Relations, Human Resources, or other related field from accredited College or University preferred, but not required
- PHR or HRCi certification preferred, but not required