WHY JOIN US
Hillsborough County Government provides employees with careers that are both professionally and personally rewarding. With a wide range of independent agencies to choose from, the opportunities within Hillsborough County Government are endless! You are not just an employee within the government, you are an ambassador and business partner making a huge impact within our community that helps shape our future.
WHY WE EXIST
Our mission is to provide effective quality service at a reasonable cost with courtesy, integrity and accountability in a manner that protects and enhances the quality of life of our diverse population.
This position performs supervisory and administrative duties directing the inspection of building and site construction of the installation of plumbing, electrical, or gas or mechanical equipment or reviewing approved plans for compliance with state and county codes, laws and ordinances.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate;
Five (5) years of experience in applicable construction trade or related field inspection or plan reviews;
Possession of 1 & 2 Family Dwelling Inspector License;
Possession of one (1) standard Inspector License AND one (1) Plans Examiner License issued by Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation Building Code Administrators and Inspectors Board, under Chapter 468 of the Florida Statutes;
One (1) year of supervisory experience;
Possession of a valid Florida Driver's License.
(Employees hired based on qualifications listed below must obtain the required licenses stated above within 12 months of hire.)
Five (5) years of experience in applicable construction trade or related field inspection or plan reviews.
- Customer Commitment - Proactively seeks to understand the needs of our customers and provide the highest standards of service
- Dedication to Professionalism and Integrity - Demonstrates and promotes fair, honest, professional and ethical behaviors that establishes trust throughout the organization and with the public we serve
- Organizational Excellence - Takes ownership for excellence through one's personal effectiveness and dedication to the continuous improvement of our operations
- Success through Teamwork - Collaborates and builds partnerships through trust and the open exchange of diverse ideas and perspectives to achieve organizational goals
Light work - Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg control requires exertion of forces greater than that of sedentary work and if the worker sits most of the time, the job is considered light work.
- Ability to climb ladders, rafters and scaffolding; crawl into attics and under buildings.
- Job tasks involve frequent walking, standing, bending, stooping; unassisted lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of moderately heavy objects up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to differentiate between colors or shades of color.
- Tasks require infrequent exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receives direction from Chief Construction Codes Inspector.
- Supervises by planning, assigning, directing, and reviewing work of subordinates; providing training and counseling; evaluating performance to ensure all work activities are carried out properly and in accordance with governing directives.
- Reviews plans and specifications for building permits, checking for compliance with current state of Florida Building Codes and Hillsborough County Construction Ordinance.
- Inspects building and site construction and the installation of plumbing, electrical, or gas systems or mechanical equipment for compliance with state and county codes, laws and ordinances.
- Inspects construction sites for general compliance with zoning, flood, and other site requirements.
- Assess code inspection complaints and takes appropriate action.
- Issues citations or notices of violation for non-compliance of Florida Building Codes or Hillsborough County Construction Ordinance.
- Testifies before the Board of Adjustment and Appeals or in a court of law when subpoenaed.
- Performs and manages quality assurance program for current staff, contract staff and private provider staff.
- Leads training programs for staff.
- Development of manuals and checklists for the team.
- Monitors inspector certifications periodically to ensure they are current. Schedules vehicle maintenance and informs inspectors of scheduled date to ensure vehicles are properly maintained and operational ready.
- Schedules Continuing Education Unit (CEU) classes for inspectors to ensure state requirements are met and certifications are kept current.
- Attends industry meetings to address upcoming code issues.
- Knowledge of State and local codes and laws governing building construction or mechanical, electrical, gas or plumbing system construction and installation.
- Knowledge of inspection methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of construction plan examination methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of applicable County and office spolicies and procedures.
- Knowledge of OSHA construction site safety requirements.
- Knowledge of County performance management process.
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans, diagrams, blueprints, and specification.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to objectively rate employee performance.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to plan, organize and supervisor the work of others.
- Ability to prepare reports and maintain records.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
- Ability to maintain current certifications.
- Ability to properly and safely operate a motor vehicle.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
We offer much more than the competitive pay you expect. We value our employees and Hillsborough County Government is committed to providing a comprehensive and competitive benefits package. And because we understand that no two people are exactly alike, you can choose what best suits the needs of you and your family.
- Health Plan: The County pays towards health insurance premiums for all employees. Employees can select from two (2) healthcare plan options. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Dental Insurance: Employees are eligible to enroll in the dental coverage and choose from four options: High DMO, Low DMO, a network Open Access Plan, and a PPO. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Vision Care: Employees and their dependents are eligible to enroll in the vision coverage. Co-payment coverage includes exams, lens and frame, as well as an allowable contact lens expense. Coverage is effective the first of the month following thirty (30) days of employment.
- Employee Assistance Program: This program provides all employees and family members with professional, confidential counseling sessions. All employees and dependents are afforded up to six (6) free visits per Plan year. Coverage begins on the first day of employment.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Employees may be reimbursed up to $1,000 (undergraduate), $2000 (graduate) per fiscal year for classes at an accredited college or university for courses that enhance your ability to perform your current job duties.
- Holidays: Employees receive up to twelve (12) paid holidays per year.
Visit our Benefits page for more exciting details.
Do you qualify for Veteran's Preference? Preference will only be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation that clearly shows dates of service, campaign awards or medals received, and character of discharge (DD-214 Member-4 or Service-2 copy) to support entitlement to preference must be provided at the time of application.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Hillsborough County Government provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Hillsborough County Government complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Hillsborough County welcomes and encourages applications from minorities, veterans, and persons with physical and mental disabilities, and will reasonably accommodate the needs of those persons in the application and testing process. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation requests will be on a case-by-case basis.
Hillsborough County Government expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Hillsborough County Government's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge
Hillsborough County is a drug free workplace.
Employees are required to participate in response/recovery activities in response to an emergency or natural disaster affecting County operations and/or its citizens. In such situations, every effort will be made to maintain operations, but employees will be assigned to carry out response activities suited to their skills and capabilities. *MON*