Adjunct On-Call (Medical Assistant)
Choosing a career with ECMC Group means joining a nonprofit corporation with a mission to help students succeed. With a vibrant mission and values, great benefits, and strong community involvement, ECMC Group companies are an ideal team to join.
This is a Faculty Adjunct on call position. The person filling this position will be employed on an hourly, on call basis to fulfill supplementary or fill-in teaching responsibilities.
All faculty members uphold the Zenith commitment to operating with integrity and complying with laws, regulations, accreditation standards, polices, and our company values as they seek to help students succeed in their pursuit of an educational experience that prepares them for the workforce.
All faculty members assist students in meeting their academic and career goals by providing an engaging teaching and learning environment utilizing sound pedagogical teaching strategies based on approved syllabi. Faculty provide appropriate and effective instruction, stay current in the scholarship and practice of their discipline and teaching methodology, support academic quality standards, and demonstrate a commitment to student retention and success. Faculty are responsible for helping to create and maintain a student-centered learning environment based on a culture of student learning assessment at the course, program, and institutional level.
Adjunct faculty members are not guaranteed, by written agreement, a full load of teaching, advising or coaching, institutional support, community support, or professional development support work. Adjunct faculty are employed on a term-by-term or on call basis, and there is not an expectation of ongoing employment or employee benefits commensurate with full-time or part-time faculty status.
Adjunct faculty members are encouraged to participate in other campus activities, committees, projects, graduation ceremonies, and in-service additional training opportunities as long as the time commitment is in adherence with Faculty Load and HR policies. All faculty members are governed by the Faculty Load and HR policies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Instruct assigned courses in accordance with course competencies/objectives.
- Inform students about course requirements, evaluation procedures, and attendance policies.
- Academically coach, guide, mentor, monitor progress, and empower students to achieve optimum success.
- Provide students with academic support and advice give referrals for additional assistance as required, tutor if necessary, and provide other assistance as needed and use technology for academic alerts and interventions.
- Teach classes based on assigned schedule and modality according to Zenith faculty expectations and complete all related teaching administrative responsibilities such as attendance taking, final grade submission, etc.
- Support student retention and success with full participation in all Zenith retention initiatives, fully utilizing all provided systems tools.
- Demonstrate functional expertise in retention strategy solutions and social media excellence in all modalities, as appropriate.
- Manage classroom teaching conditions and environment through active instructor presence in order to promote a positive classroom environment.
- Conduct program / course curriculum assessment and evaluation duties as assigned.
- Demonstrate evidence of professional growth and academic currency.
- Keep annual professional development plan updated and ensure that all faculty accreditation professional and in-service professional development is completed and documentation provided to the Academic Dean or proxy.
- Attend required Faculty meetings
- Meet obligations for the on-campus, off-campus, and online time necessary to meet their professional responsibilities for classes, laboratories, office hours, meetings, and other assignments.
- Where applicable:
- Maintain valid practice certifications.
- Maintain current health requirements, training, licensures and certifications.
- Coordinates schedules with CND in establishing laboratory schedules, classroom rotations (where appropriate), student advising and clinical rotations (where appropriate).
- Ensure related clinical supplies and equipment are up-to-date.
- Explain and demonstrate related laboratory/practical procedures.
- Arrange students’ field placement and monitor students’ progress.
- Stay current with all regional and state code changes and industry standards as it applies to the program subject matter being taught.
- May assist the Academic Dean with data collection and/or reporting as required by any applicable program accreditor and/or state regulatory agency.
- The distribution of a faculty member’s comprehensive assignment will vary in accordance with department, division, and/or regional needs and faculty expertise. Decisions regarding courses taught, teaching locations, and class schedules are determined by the Academic Dean or Campus Academic Leader or his/her proxy.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and TRAINING
A qualified faculty member teaching in the Medical Assistant program meets the program standard through the following requirements:
- A qualified faculty member must have a minimum of three years of related practical work experience as a medical assistant.
- Faculty teaching in the MA program must have an active MA certification or license. Certification must be granted by a credentialing organization accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
- Must have an associate’s degree (in any discipline) or a certificate/diploma from an accredited academic institution in the discipline. (Zenith Education Group employees hired prior to 9/15/2017 are exempt from this requirement.)
All faculty must complete the CPR/BLS certification training within 60 days of hire.
The required CPR training is to be delivered using the American Heart Association (AHA) – Healthcare Provider CPR curriculum. All campuses must have the adequate number of CPR Instructors available to meet the minimum AHA teaching requirements. The number and availability of CPR instructors must be determined by "AHA instructor to student ratio"* and the student population of a given campus. Campus leadership must determine the adequate number of CPR instructor staffing needs based upon the given:
*AHA Instructor to student ratio = 6:1
- Faculty teaching nutrition courses must have a bachelor’s degree in nutrition or a related field with appropriate coursework and preparation in the subject area, or eight years related practical work experience and college-level coursework in the subject area.
Faculty teaching anatomy and physiology courses must have must have a bachelor’s degree in anatomy/physiology or a related field with appropriate coursework and preparation in the subject area, or eight years related practical work experience and college-level coursework in the subject area.
Faculty teaching anatomy and physiology courses must have a bachelor’s degree in anatomy/physiology or a related field with appropriate coursework and preparation in the subject area, or eight years related practical work experience and college-level coursework in the subject area.
Faculty teaching pharmacology courses must have a bachelor’s degree in pharmacology or a related field with appropriate coursework and preparation in the subject area, or eight years related practical work experience and college-level coursework in the subject area.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Dependable with the ability to respond to requests for service and assistance
- Ability to work in a team environment, balances team and individual responsibilities
- Displays willingness to make decisions.
- Ability to clearly and effectively convey information to others. This includes the ability to choose the appropriate method or methods of communication
- Ability to complete all job requirements in allotted time.
- Displays and promotes high standards of ethical conduct and behaviors consistent with organizational and government standards. Represents Zenith Education Group in a positive and professional manner both inside and outside the organization.
- Displays an organized and results-oriented approach, and motivation to perform without extensive direction.
- Displays high quality of work and level of accuracy.
- Demonstrates the ability to use creative, positive solution-oriented approach to address problems.