Participate in the activities of the Composite Materials Research Laboratory (CMRL) by performing tests, lab experiments, and collecting data involved in research and development activities in the area of structural polymer, resins, and carbon fiber prepregs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform research and development activities for resin systems and carbon fiber prepregs.
- Carry out routine research activities including ordering test requests, preparing samples, organizing test samples in preparation for tests, performing various tests, and collecting data under guided directions and instructions. Perform skill sensitive tasks from start to finish.
- Maintain assigned tasks and schedules.
- Compile, interpret and explain results with scientific competence under guided direction and instruction into internal reports such as weekly reports and presentations.
- Order and maintain stock of general lab supplies and consumables; implement storage and maintenance manuals associated with lab instruments.
- Assist with maintaining CMRL instruments and equipment in clean, operational and orderly condition.
- Jointly work with other staff to maintain a safe lab work environment and implement safe operating procedures to ensure an accident-free record and maintenance of compliance with all waste and environmental regulations.
- Coordinate purchase of raw materials, equipment modifications and repairs, and shipping samples with other CMA departments and outside vendors.
- Support higher level research scientists in development of capital investment projects.
Skills and Specifications
- Ability to evaluate conditions, recognize issues and determine best course of action.
- Position requires the ability to set priorities, follow schedules and manage own time.
- Ability to troubleshoot and problem solve at a moderately skilled level.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to utilize/operate a computer, peripheral equipment and appropriate software, such as Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Possess a high level of knowledge of technical testing techniques and procedures.
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to self-motivate and take initiative.
- Knowledge of record keeping techniques and procedures.
- Ability to develop and maintain a high level of interpersonal proficiency.
- Ability to get along well with diverse personalities and cultures with an understanding of Japanese management philosophies and practices.
- Ability to lead and train lower level or new Associates on instrument/equipment operations, experiments and work instructions.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in a technical field or equivalent experience, required.
- One plus years' undergraduate experience in research or technical development of polymer and polymer composite materials, or three plus years' experience in laboratory or manufacturing process or equivalent, required.
- Knowledge of laboratory test techniques with regard to performing tests, collecting and documenting data. Japanese language skills are a plus.
- This position involves working with technologies and information which are subject to U.S. export control regulations. Under these regulations, Toray CMA must review certain candidate information including citizenship, basis of United States work authorization and country of origin. This information would be used for export control screening purposes only.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Position requires the ability to read, write, speak and understand English at a level necessary to successfully perform assigned responsibilities. Position often requires the ability to make quick decisions related to research and development issues. Ability to perform advanced mathematical computations (statistics, differential calculus, integral calculus, etc.), and to understand and apply work specifications in the completion of work tasks. The ability to hear, speak, use hands/fingers and the repetitive motions of hands/wrists are occasional. Ability to occasionally lift 10 pounds. Ability to move within the laboratory area and occasionally climb stairs. Vision abilities require the adjustment and focus of sight. Must be able to perform the essential functions of the position with or without an accommodation