Description of Work
Salary Grade: GN07 Recruitment Range: $32,703 - $51,904
This is an Anticipated Vacancy!
This position is located at Hyde Correctional Institution located in Swan Quarter, NC (Hyde County). The facility is an adult male felon minimum custody facility that houses 728 inmates and employs 156 staff. The purpose of this position is to coordinate all Personnel activities carried out by the Personnel Department at the direction of the Administrative Officer. Duties will include utilizing the HR Payroll System to administer all areas of time and leave management, correcting time entries as needed, trouble shooting leave and/or pay problems which pertain to negatvie leave balances or payroll discrepancies. Overseeing the accrual and usage of compensatory time including holiday comp, gap hours and overtime compensation. Manage the adverse weather leave liabilities. This position is responsible for reviewing Worker's Compensation & Disability Claims for eligibility, and reviewing medical documentation and making recommendations. The completion of documentation for employment packages and ability to interpret and apply a variety of OSHR, DPS, Payroll & Retirement System policies and procedures for DPS Employees. Process Leave of Absences, Military Leave, Family Medical Leave, Family Illness Leave & Voluntary Shared Leave. Process disability request and retirement packages. Be able to assist employees with employee benefits options.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities / Competencies
Listed below are the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) associated with this position. These KSAs, along with the minimum education and experience listed, are required in order to be deemed “eligible“ for this position. Therefore, you must demonstrate or provide supporting information within the body of your application to demonstrate your possession of each KSA listed.
- Documented knowledge of personnel management.
- Documented knowledge of computer software Microsoft
- Documented knowledge of Integrated HR Payroll System (formerly Beacon/SAP)
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
Associate s degree, typically in Human Resources from an appropriately accredited institution or relevant field and no years of experience required; or High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and 2 years of progressive experience in Human Resources.
Supplemental and Contact Information
Supplemental and Contact Information:
The N.C. Department of Public Safety (DPS) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages
qualified men and women to apply. DPS uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified individuals. Hiring salary will be based on relevant qualifications, internal equity and budgetary considerations pertinent to the advertised position.
- Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application. Embedded or attached resumes ARE NOT accepted as a substitution for a completed application.
- To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the State of North Carolina application in the Education and Work Experience sections of the applications form. Any information omitted cannot be considered for qualifying credit.
- Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with your application.
- During the online application process if additional documentation is required, attach the documentation at the bottom of Step 4 in the application process.
for specific requirements.
The NC Department of Public Safety must adhere to the United States Department of Justice Final Rule on the “National Standards to Prevent, Detect, and Respond to Prison Rape“ under the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) Standards at 28 C.F.R. Part 115 Docket No. OAG-131 RIN 1105-AB34. gov/document/prea-hiring-and-promotion-prohibitions for hiring and promotion prohibition requirements for all positions in the NC Department of Public Safety.
Due to the volume of applications received, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the phone. To check the status of your application, please log in to your account and click “Application Status.“
Crystal Miller (252)-214-6906