The NYC Test and Trace Corps (“Test & Trace“), led by NYC Health Hospitals in partnership with DOHMH, and other City agencies, is a major component of the City's effort to manage the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Community Engagement Initiative will focus on ensuring that communities have direct access to COVID-19-related information and services that are accessible, culturally and linguistically responsive, and trauma- and resilience-informed.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Outreach Worker will conduct outreach and public education (through in-person leafleting and tabling) regarding testing and tracing, the benefits of wearing a mask, physical distancing, COVID-19 prevention, and safe re-opening practices. The Outreach Worker will also participate in digital outreach engagement, including supporting the development of tailored assets and an engagement strategy.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Participate in intensive online and in-person training:
• Cultural humility and responsiveness
• Compassion and empathy
• Awareness of differences and acceptance of each individual’s unique identity
• Social Determinants of Health
• “Credible messenger” approach
Support adherence to public health guidelines by conducting complete street-level outreach, offering information about COVID-19 and how to reduce exposure, and distributing face covering and sanitizer in high-traffic areas or other areas where community members naturally congregate, and at locations where social distancing is or may become problematic.
Leafleting and mask/sanitizer distribution will target:
• Local high-traffic playgrounds
• Places of worship
• Food distribution sites
• NYCHA & other building entrances
• Bodegas, bars, restaurants, and grocery stores
• Busy intersections and subway stops
• Community partner sites/businesses
• SCO program sites
Support the development of tailored assets and an engagement strategy.
Participate in digital outreach engagement, developing and distributing messages.
Use clear, tactful, and respectful communication in all interactions.
• Must be able to effectively communicate to targeted communities reliable information about Test & Trace and the core public health guidance critical to stopping the continued spread of COVID-19.
• College courses in human services and/or healthcare preferred or equivalent experience.
• Demonstrated knowledge of computer programs including word processing, scheduling, and database programs.
• Possesses and maintains good physical stamina and mental health. Has presented a pre- employment physician's health clearance including a negative TB skin test and/or CXR and other tests as required by Organization policy.
• Has access to public transportation or other means to get to the work location each day.
• Is self-directed with the ability to work with little supervision.
• Is flexible and cooperative in fulfilling all obligations.
• Is professional in all interactions.
• Must present drug- and alcohol-free in all work situations.
*Bilingual Spanish or Chinese a Plus*