The Position: The Cooperative Office Assistant will provide customer service and back office supports to worker-owned cooperative businesses supported by CDP, as well as administrative support to CFL. The back office plays a pivotal role in the success of the worker cooperative businesses by providing responsive and professional service to their customers, ensuring clear communication between customers and the worker-owners in Spanish and English, and supporting worker-owners with implementing their contracts and company policies that ensure quality service and fair working conditions. The Office Assistant also ensures collection and maintenance of customer and business data, and helps report this information to the worker-owners. The Office Assistant will receive training on CDP’s approach to office services and the cooperatives’ policies, and join a team of two experienced Office Managers supervised by the Assistant Director.
This is an entry-level role that is ideal for someone with experience in a customer-facing role in a retail, service, or office environment who is interested in immigrant justice, workers’ rights, small business and workforce development, or nonprofit administration. THIS IS A TEMPORARY, THREE-MONTH, FULL-TIME POSITION with the possibility for extension pending additional grant funding.
Primary Responsibilities: Cooperative Back Office Support
- Monitor and be available to respond to cooperative customer inquiries via the upandgo.coop web app and cooperatives’ phones and emails. Assign jobs to cooperatives and their worker-owners in a timely manner following the cooperatives’ job roster policies and systems.
- Troubleshoot and support cooperative members and customers with on-the-job issues
- Process invoices and payments for the cooperative businesses
- Support the Back Office team with data entry or other tasks related to shared back office systems for Up & Go and the Brightly franchise
Cooperative Development Support
- Coordinate and complete data entry to comply with progress reports and grant reports for private foundations and public funds, in coordination with the CDP Director
- Support with logistics for events and projects in the CDP team
- Support the office developer team
CFL Front Desk Coverage
- Answering and redirecting phone calls.
- Covering the front desk of the Adult Employment and Cooperative Business Program in the absence assisting them with the intake forms and responding to general inquiries. of the receptionist.
- Helping to manage the calendar for meeting rooms.
- Greeting clients and
Other tasks will be assigned based on project needs.
SCO Family of Services is an equal employment opportunity employer.
- Bilingual Spanish/ English skills (required). Native Spanish-speakers encouraged to apply.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally, both verbally and in writing in Spanish and in English. Must be able to respond to the cooperative businesses’ customers and worker-owners by email, text, and phone promptly, in a clear manner, and in accordance with CDP’s and the cooperative businesses’ communication standards.
- Basic computer skills and experience working with Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Punctuality, responsiveness, and the ability to prioritize and juggle multiple tasks and deadlines. The cooperatives rely on CDP to serve as their customer service team Monday through Friday, from 9am to 5pm, so it is essential that the Cooperative Office Assistant be available and responsive during those times, and able to follow up with the worker-owners and customers of the various cooperatives we support.
- Patience, thoughtfulness, and good interpersonal skills. The Office Assistant will be responsible for fielding and responding to customer feedback, responding to worker-owner questions, and trouble-shooting customer service-related issues (with support from the CDP team).
- Ability to learn quickly, interest in developing a variety of new skills, and ability to work both autonomously and in a highly-collaborative team.
Applicants for the Cooperative Office Assistant position should submit a
thoughtful cover letter and resume by email to Sylvia Morse, Assistant Director,
at firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should include: “Cooperative Office
Assistant.” Applications without the
required documents will not be considered.
The strongest candidates will also have at least one of the following desired experiences and qualities:
- Customer service or help desk work experience
- A strong interest in and willingness to learn about worker cooperative business development, community organizing and/or worker/immigrant rights