- DEVELOPER – Contribute to strengthening thriving grassroots initiatives
- supporting worker cooperative development
- Full Time Position, Center for
- Family Life’s Cooperative Development Program (CDP)
We are growing the Cooperative Development
Program (CDP) in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Join a dynamic team of people who
share your passion for positive social change! CDP channels the power of cooperative business ownership & grassroots social group work to address systemic
oppression and shift economic power to low-income immigrant workers.
The Organization: The Center for Family Life has been at
the forefront of worker cooperative development for the past 12 years.
- We provide support and consultation services toworker-owned businesses with a commitment to fair wages and working conditionsbased on principles of social justice, equity, and democracy. Since 2006, wehave provided technical assistance and training to 21 cooperatives representing540 worker-owners, and trained 30 community-based organizations on cooperativedevelopment.
- Weare scaling the impact of worker cooperatives by leveraging the power of business development andmarketing tools that have historically been inaccessible to low-incomeimmigrant communities. Since 2016, we have supported the development and growthof Up & Go, a worker-owned booking app for cooperatives to market theirservices. The first worker cooperative franchised brand, Brightly Cleaning,launched in 2019 including shared branding and back office systems to help newworker-owned businesses more easily start up and reach sustainability.We believethat it is more important than ever to strengthen community self-determination, leadership,and advocacy. We invite you to be part of creating a new economic system thatputs people and the planet before profit.
The Position: You will join a group of experienced Cooperative
Developers to help us launch a worker cooperative in the cleaning sector and
under the Brightly brand, as well as support Up & Go and existing worker cooperatives.
The Cooperative Developer position will also manage our program communications,
including member outreach & engagement and our monthly newsletter content
The ideal Cooperative Developer will possess:
- Strong written and oral English and Spanish skillsrequired.
- Strong facilitation skills, including workshop and meeting facilitation.
- Superior organizational, business, problem-solving,and communication skills.You areexcited about starting small cooperatively owned businesses with communitymembers and figuring out the best way to communicate complex ideas & tasks.
- Communications and marketing skills and experience, including developing messaging for nonprofit or marketingcampaigns, graphic design, and/or social media management experience.
- B.A. or M.A. in Business, Public Administration,Social Work, Community Development, Communications, or other related field.
- Passion for learning while engaging in diverse and creativework. The range of responsibilitiesvaries from conducting feasibility studies to preparing curriculum and agendasfor meetings, figuring out legal incorporation and governance issues,individual and group leadership development coaching, and building a movementtoward a solidarity economy. The diversity of tasks can be demanding, but ifyou are up for the challenge we can promise it will never get boring.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and economicdemocracy.You have a deepunderstanding of systemic oppression and are committed to dismantling it. Youare eager to learn more about and strengthen the cooperativeeconomics/solidarity economy movement locally and nationally, especially withimmigrant communities.
- Experience working on complex multi-stakeholderprojects.You excel at coordinatingwith people and bringing them together to create and work towards a commonvision.
- Ability to thrive in a highly-collaborative work environment.You may be a strong candidate even if you don’t haveall of the skills and characteristics described above. You might have important skills not listed here. Ifyou are excited about this position and what you can bring to our work, we wantto read your application!
is Full Time and we offer a competitive benefits package, including health care
(medical, dental, vision), 4 weeks of vacation, generous sick leave. Salary:
us your resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should include: “Cooperative Developer.” We’re aiming
for a start date as soon as possible and accepting applications—on a rolling
basis—until the position is filled.