Software Dev Engineer II, Alexa Product Knowledge
Do you possess the skills, passion and experience to help create the most intelligent personal shopping assistant on the market? Our nascent Alexa Shopping Product Knowledge team is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive software developer to join our team in Sunnyvale, California. Alexa Shopping Product Knowledge is our initiative to make Alexa the world’s most knowledgeable expert on all products or services. You will be part of a team with strategic impact in the Alexa Shopping business, designing and implementing new software inventions in the pre and post purchasing voice experiences. You will thrive in a fast-paced environment, understand the artificial intelligence space, leverage Machine Learning models to solve complex problems at scale and will help us delivering key features to build digital product expert - that can recommend products, gift ideas, book suggestions and more.
Given that this is an early-stage initiative, you will play an active role in building quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team. You'll have the freedom and encouragement to experiment, improve, invent, and innovate on behalf of our customers. You should be comfortable with a degree of ambiguity that’s higher than most projects and relish the idea of solving problems. You will tackle challenging, novel situations every day and you’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple technical teams at Amazon. Along the way, we guarantee that you’ll learn a lot, have fun and make a positive impact on millions of people.
*Work Life Balance*: Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance. Striking a healthy balance between your personal and professional life is crucial to your happiness and success here, which is why we aren’t focused on how many hours you spend at work or online. Instead, we’re happy to offer a flexible schedule so you can have a more productive and well-balanced life—both in and outside of work.
*Inclusion*: Here at Amazon, we embrace our differences. We are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. .Amazon’s culture of inclusion is reinforced within our 14 Leadership Principles, which remind team members to seek diverse perspectives, learn and be curious, and earn trust.
Key job responsibilities
As software developer in Amazon, you are expected to have technical ownership of your designs and services and influence good coding practices among your peers. Responsibilities include design, code, review, test, fix, research, deploy and maintain services and code in Amazon cloud and production environments. Successful candidates will be strong developers who can prioritize well, develop at the highest standards in the industry, deal with ambiguous and non explored problem domains, and have a consistent track record of delivery. Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon engineers:
* Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
* Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
* Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
* Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
* Thinks big
A day in the life
Your role in this startup team will offer diverse opportunities for creating innovative software. On a given day you might:
· Design and develop micro-services to create new Alexa experiences
· Building quick prototypes or proofs of concept in partnership with other technology leaders within the team
· Leverage Machine Learning to solve complex problems at scale.
· Work closely with speech recognition, natural language understanding and text-to-speech technologies to make Alexa more intelligent and smart.
· Build services that scales well and have high availability and performance
· Work closely with product managers, cross-team developers to build innovative software
About the team
This new team within Alexa Product Knowlegde builds feature helping customers in their pre and post shopping journey. Our vision for Alexa is to help customers as their favorite Product Expert, in their home, on Amazon, and on the go, in all stages of their shopping journey. We are building a digital product expert that can recommend products, gift ideas, book suggestions and more - helping millions of customers.
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· A Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
· Experience designing, building, launching, and operating internet-scale services for consumers
· Experience with machine learning, language understanding, and information retrieval systems
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.