Sr Hardware Service Engineer, Amazon Devices Reverse Logistics
Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
As a senior leader within the Hardware Service Engineering team you are responsible for defining the customer facing and internal strategy for the warranty and returns services of a new complex product. In addition to creating the overall service strategy, the Hardware Service Engineer owns development of technical processes for dis-assembly, assembly, spare parts reclamation, and development of tooling solutions to facilitate service operations. This includes defining, developing, deploying and sustaining hardware screening operations and repair/refurbishment processes globally to support Amazon Digital Device products. The engineer will be expected to use program management experience to share the overall strategy, gain cross-functional support, and hold stakeholders accountable to the overall Reverse Logistics NPI strategy. In this role, you will:
· Own the overall repair service cost-model and changes to the cost-model due to risk and plan of record changes.
· Define customer return screening and repair strategy for warranty and remorse returns
· Develop repair processes and tooling (as needed) to support repair activities for a variety of products
· Assure successful implementation into global and regional support strategies
· Review and evaluate product designs for compliance with Design for Serviceability guidelines and standards
· Provide tangible feedback based on results to improve product design features
· Enhance field support productivity and effectiveness through improved hardware serviceability, driving opportunities into product design
· Review HW designs during key build phases and ensure tooling and service solutions will meet requirements for product support, warranty costs and product launch schedule
· Define spare part requirements and expected usage
· Develop programs to reduce the need for new spare parts through refurbishment of previous used parts and for improvements on warranty costs
· Develop repair processes for continued improvements on efficiency and reduced complexity in the operations
· Travel Required up to 20% (Domestic and International)
Key job responsibilities
· Assess risk to service and repair customer offerings for new products beginning at concept.
· Enable closed loop feedback to design and product management.
· Identify opportunities to improve the design for serviceability and go to market (GTM) strategy for aftermarket support and pre-owned sales of Amazon Devices.
· Measure cost of service against financial targets.
A day in the life
As the overall owner of the NPI process within Reverse Logistics, on a daily basis, you will work with a broad cross-functional team responsible for launching some of our most complex products. Your day will likely begin with updates from the European and Asian stakeholders for product launch. Then you will focus on documenting the plan of record for service and repair, with special focus on identifying serviceability improvement opportunities to reduce overall service costs. Using your knowledge of repair processes you will submit requests for design changes to product design. To end your day you will work with product management, customer service, and SW tech teams to scope new customer facing service offerings required for the new Amazon product.
About the team
Amazon Devices Reverse Logistics owns global warranty and services for all Amazon Device products. The Reverse Supply Chain vision is to power the circular economy by giving consumer electronic products another chance to be loved.
· Bachelor's Degree
· 5+ years of experience in product or program management, product marketing, business development or technology
· Experience with end to end product delivery
· Experience overseeing roadmap strategy and definition
· Experience with feature delivery and tradeoffs of a product
· Experience contributing to engineering discussions around technology decisions and strategy related to a product
· Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Industrial, Manufacturing Engineering, or equivalent or related, or 12 years of progressively responsible work experience, or a combination of education and experience that is equivalent to a bachelor's degree
· 7+ years of experience managing cross-functional projects and programs
· 7+ years of experience in engineering and/or quality role including some ownership of process monitoring and improvement
· Experience leading engineering or engineering program management teams
· Proven ability to influence leadership and facilitate agreement among stakeholders with different interests
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, building relationships
· Experience in Reverse Logistics, Service Engineering, Product Design or Manufacturing Tooling and Process Development.
· Proven track record of complex and creative problem solving and the desire to create and build new processes
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.