Senior Brand and Naming Strategist
Alexa. Echo. Kindle. Fire TV. Fire tablets. Halo. Luna. Ring. Blink. Every Amazon device tells a story. We craft those stories. CX Labs, the internal agency for Amazon Devices, is looking for a Sr. Brand and Naming Strategist to help us connect consumers to Amazon devices and services. At CX Labs, we start with the customer in mind. We work backwards to create engaging brands that increase awareness and loyalty, and build against the promises our brands make to customers.
In this role, you will be responsible for building and growing brands within our devices portfolio. You will have the opportunity to refine and shape established world-class brands, as well as to define new brands, products, services, features, and programs.
Your work should reflect your successful creation and delivery of world-class brand strategies and naming, and an obsession for customers. You’ll bring a currency in global technology and retail brand trends from which you’ll draw learnings and success criteria. You are curious, resourceful, and like diving deep on a subject, taking a no-stone-unturned approach. You recognize opportunities for improving customer experiences before others, and are comfortable taking ownership in an ambiguous environment. You think in an imaginative, abstract world, where you possess the confidence to defend your creative ideas, as well as to poke holes in your own creative concepts. You can facilitate open and productive strategic debates that result in the best possible outcomes for customers. You can manage multiple priorities and make things happen in a fast-paced culture, and you thrive on receipt of constructive feedback, using it as motivation to rethink your approach.
In this role, you will lead workshops with partner and go-to-market (GTM) teams, to apply category and cultural insights to set the brand strategy that guides launch work streams. You’ll capture your ideas in the creative brief, which you will steward throughout the creative development process. You’ll partner with Insights and GTM teams to sharpen value propositions and positioning. You will lead naming work streams, from brief, through ideation, to presentation of the naming strategy, options, and recommendation, which you’ll capture in a written narrative. You’ll lead the development and/or the evolution of brand frameworks and guidelines when we launch new brands or evolve existing brands, and partner with creative teams to ensure our visual identities are on strategy, with guidelines that govern and scale impact. Your work will be seen by millions of people each day across Amazon's homepage, product detail pages, email, mobile, and marketing channels.
Collaboration is deep and broad in this role. You will partner closely with a variety of peers and stakeholders such as customer research, go-to-market, product management and UX, content strategy, art direction, design, packaging, retail experience, site merchandising, and PR to achieve key strategic goals. You are confident presenting and defending your work to stakeholders, promoting collaboration, identifying problems, navigating through the ambiguity of invention, and setting our teams up for success. You are a talented and adaptable writer who is able to articulate strategy and creative optionality in narrative documents, in order to influence and drive approval with senior leadership teams.
· Collaborate across CX Labs, working cross-functionally with teams governing consumer insights, brand design, marketing design, content strategy, retail experience, and creative operations.
· Lead engagement with global teams including go-to-market, product management, product UX, legal, and PR.
· Partner with product and go-to-market teams to dive deep on customer, category and short- and long-term business goals.
· Gather data and extract insights to deeply understand short- and long-term business goals, shape strategy and inform creative.
· Create and maintain strategic brand frameworks (positioning, attributes, etc.) to accommodate shifting roadmaps, categories, and customer needs.
· Author creative briefs, drive the review and approval process, and steward the brief through launch work streams.
· Own naming for brands, products, features, and services – including authorship of the naming brief, leadership of brainstorming workshops, ideation of naming options, and shaping of the naming presentation – which guides leadership to decision making in a narrative format.
· Present brand architecture strategies and strategic recommendations and drive timely response to directional feedback and decision-making.
· 10+ years of brand strategy and naming experience within in-house or agency environment where accountable for delivering for top global consumer brands.
· A portfolio of >10 brand, product, feature, and/or service names you’ve delivered from ideation through execution.
· BA or BS in business or liberal arts, or equivalent professional experience.
· Proven ability to write effective, insight-driven creative briefs.
· Mastery of brand and naming strategies with the ability to articulate your knowledge in a way that resonates with peers of technical or other non-marketing backgrounds.
· Proven experience with rapid, iterative concepting and development processes.
· Superior narrative writing skills, with talent in developing communications frameworks, and the ability to clearly articulate your multi-dimensional thinking in a white-paper format.
· Exceptional verbal communication skills, and the ability to facilitate creative work sessions with all levels of the organization.
· Proven ability to shift from thinking big to rolling up your sleeves to execute smaller tasks.
· Curiosity about Amazon devices and smart home technologies.
· Consumer technology background strongly preferred.
· Experience on both agency side and in-house preferred but not required.
· An online portfolio demonstrating the brand work you’ve delivered preferred but not required.